This policy provides the process by which Santa Fe Community College (SFCC or College) students can organize in groups to further learning, student collaboration, collegiality and success.
Scope and Applicability
This policy applies to all students who assemble as a formal student club or formal organization on campus.
SFCC is committed to fostering communication, learning and collaboration with and among students through student clubs and organizations.
- Registered Student Club or Organizationis a College-sponsored group that provides students the opportunity to share interests in academic or extracurricular activities. Involvement in clubs and organizations supports student retention and encourages engagement on and off campus. Students interact with peers and campus community members to pursue these interests and develop lifelong skills. Requirements for becoming a Registered Club or Organization: 1. Must be comprised of seven or more students who are registered in at least one credit hour (audit or credit), 2. Must have a sponsor who is a part- or full-time SFCC faculty or staff member. 3. Officers and advisers must attend orientation, and 4. Must comply with SFCC policies and procedures. In addition, a Registered Club: 1. Must submit an application with the Office of Student Development, and 2. Is eligible for funding from the Student Government Association. A Registered Student Organization is not eligible for funding through the Student Government Association unless they choose to become a Registered Student Club.
- Students interested in establishing a a club or organization must register with Office of Student Development.
- Any student club or organization seeking to use College facilities shall comply with Policy 5-4 Facilities Allocation, Use and Management. Use of College facilities by a Registered Student Club or Organization shall apply only to that organization.
- Registration shall not imply College approval of the activities of the Registered Club or Organization.
- Membership must not require, limit or deny participation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, serious medical condition, spousal affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, Genetic Information Non-discrimination Act (GINA), and veterans’ status or any other basis prohibited by law.
- No student who is under disciplinary penalty/penalties prohibiting registration as a club may serve as a member or officer of a registered student club or organization (Policy 2-1 Student Code of Conduct, Student Handbook, Policy 2-2 Student Concerns and Complaints, Policy 2-3 Student Corrective and Disciplinary Action).
Statement of Accountability and Responsibility
The President, through the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs or his/her designee and the Office of Academic and Student Affairs shall be responsible for enforcing student-related procedures and policies. The Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs or his/her designee shall work with the different departments and offices to comply with this policy and develop procedures that will enforce this policy regarding awareness, prevention and remediation.
Policy 2-1 SFCC Student Code of Conduct
Policy 2-2 SFCC Student Corrective Action and Disciplinary Action
Policy 2-3 Student Corrective and Disciplinary Action
Policy 5-4 SFCC Facilities Allocation, Use and Management Policy
SFCC Governing Board: 11/18/04
Revised and SFCC Governing Board approved: 3/22/17