This policy governs the restriction of any weapons, including firearms, on Santa Fe Community College (SFCC or College) properties, or at any college-sponsored event on or off campus. SFCC complies with New Mexico State laws and regulations, including NMSA 1978, § 30-7- 2.4, which prohibits (with some exceptions) the carrying of firearms on university or community college premises.
Scope and Applicability
This policy applies to all students, employees, and visitors to all SFCC owned- and leased-properties and at events sponsored by the College. The purpose of this policy is to provide a safe environment in which to learn and to promote the general welfare of all.
- Students, visitors, and employees of the College are prohibited from possessing weapons of any kind on College owned- or leased-premises or at any College-sponsored event, with the exception of the following:
- Law enforcement officers within the scope of their duties.
- College security personnel, when deemed necessary by the President.
- Weapons or firearms (actual or props) that are part of an instructional program, activity, or special event that has been approved by the President or designee with written notification having been provided to the Safety and Security Office;
- Firearms, swords, knives or any type of weapon (actual or prop), will be allowed on campus for the purpose of filming with prior approval from the President or designee with written notification having been provided to the Safety and Security Office;
- A person older than the age of 19 in possession of a firearm or weapon in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance, for lawful protection of person and property, provided that the firearm or weapon is secured in a locked vehicle and is out of sight to passersby.
- Law Enforcement Officer is any public official or public officer vested by law with a duty to maintain public order or to make arrests for crime.
- Premises are any College-owned or leased properties, including the land and buildings or other structures, athletic fields, parking areas, and off-campus course locations, and all locations of associated activities or events sponsored by the College, as well as College owned or leased vehicles both on and off College property.
- Weapons include, but are not limited to, firearms, swords, knives (with blades longer than four inches), clubs, explosives, spiked wrist bands, chains, brass knuckles, tasers, or any other items that may cause or be used for the purpose of causing intimidation, injury, or death, including mock or toy weapons or guns.
A. Facilities and Operations and Safety and Security staff will, in accordance with NMSA 1978, § 30-7-2.4(8), conspicuously post notices around College premises stating that it is unlawful to carry a firearm on College premises.
B. All persons found to be in violation of the this policy are subject to disciplinary action. Such action is to be consistent in type, severity, and duration with College practice in dealing with all policy violations.
- If the violator is a student, responsibility for determining disciplinary action resides with the Student Affairs Officer.
- If the violator is an employee of the College, responsibility for determining disciplinary action resides with the Director of Human Resources.
- If the violator is a visitor to campus, responsibility for determining disciplinary action resides with the President.
- A student, visitor, or employee failing to report knowledge of a weapon in the possession of another individual on campus or of the conduct prohibited in this policy shall be considered an accessory and shall be subject to the same discipline as the primary offender.
C. Persons found to be in violation of the above policy may also be subject to criminal liability under NMSA 1978, § 30-7-2.4.
Statement of Accountability and Responsibility
The President, through the Vice President of Finance/Chief Financial Officer with the Director of Human Resources, the Student Affairs Officer, and appropriate departments, shall be responsible for enforcing safety and security-related policies and procedures. The Financial Services Office shall work with the different departments and offices to comply with this policy and to develop procedures that will enforce this policy regarding awareness, prevention, and remediation.
NMSA 1978, § 30-7-2.4 NMSA 1978, § 30-7-2.4(B)
SFCC Policy 2-2 Student Corrective Action and Disciplinary Action Policy
SFCC Policy 4-2 Employee Corrective Action and Disciplinary Action
SFCC Governing Board: 12/18/2003
Revised and SFCC Governing Board approved: 4/27/2016