This policy defines the expectations of Santa Fe Community College (SFCC or College) regarding uniforms and personal protective equipment on campus.
Scope and Applicability
This policy applies to all employees of the College.
The College will provide designated employees with an approved uniform and/or personal protective equipment when it is:
1. necessary to identify employees for a particular purpose (e.g., safety and security or plant operations and maintenance);
2. to perform assigned job duties requiring special uniforms or personal protective equipment;
3. to minimize injury to employees during the performance of assigned duties; or
4. to prevent unreasonable wear and tear of an employee’s personal clothing.
5. Required to wear a uniform while completing their assigned job duties for the purposes of identification and safety.
- Personal Protective EquipmentIs equipment worn to minimize exposure to serious workplace injuries and illnesses.
- UniformA College specified article or articles of clothing meant to be worn while working.
- If required, a uniform will be provided by the College at no expense to the employee or reimbursed if needed. The uniform and/or personal protective equipment must be approved prior to the employee being reimbursed.
- The College will provide designated employees with safety items (or an allowance) required for specific job responsibilities as determined by state and federal safety hazard requirements, the appropriate Department Head/ Dean/Vice President in conjunction with the Safety Specialist. Equipment may include personal protective equipment to minimize injury from chemical, radiological, physical, electrical, mechanical, or other workplace hazards.
- Temporary and student employees working within departments required to wear uniforms and/or personal protective equipment will be issued such as clothing and/or gear, if appropriate.
- All employees directed to wear required uniforms and/or personal protective equipment must comply with such requirements in order to perform their assigned duties. Substitution of other clothing and/or equipment is only permitted when authorized by the appropriate Vice President or Executive Director.
- Job descriptions and recruitment postings will indicate any job activities for which appropriate uniforms or personal protective equipment will be required or provided.
- Violations of this policy are subject to corrective and/or disciplinary action up to and including termination (Policy 4-2 Employee Corrective Action and Disciplinary Action).
Statement of Accountability and Responsibility
The President, through the Executive Director of Plant Operations, Maintenance and Safety and Security and the Executive Director for Human Relations and Professional Development/EEO Officer, shall be responsible for enforcing safety and security and human resource policies and procedures. OHR and POMSS shall work with the different departments and offices to comply with this policy and develop procedures that will enforce this policy regarding awareness, prevention and remediation.
Policy 4-2 Employee Corrective Action and Disciplinary Action
Policy 8-1 College Branding
03-27-03, Governing Board
Revised and Governing Board approved: 9/28/16