This policy establishes that the Office of Marketing and Public Relations (MPR) is responsible for approval of Santa Fe Community College (SFCC or College) public information, and that only authorized employees may represent the College in official contact with the news media.
Scope and Applicability
All employees and offices shall utilize the MPR to assure uniform, timely and accurate dissemination of College information.
This policy ensures that the messaging to the public by SFCC is coordinated and deliberate, that it furthers the mission of the College, and that it reflects positively on the institution in order to promote community understanding of and support for the College. Employees have the right to speak for themselves or express their own opinion while making clear that they are not officially representing SFCC.
- News Media Print and electronic news media, including but not limited to radio and television stations, newspapers, blogs and magazines, regardless of whether online or otherwise delivered.
- Publication Anything created for the College or any of the College’s organizational units that is intended for public dissemination – whether printed or electronic, and whether produced on or off campus. Publications include, but are not limited to, advertisements, announcements, fliers, invitations, newsletters, posters, presentations, programs of events, social media, tickets, videos, websites/pages and other public notifications of convocations, meetings, luncheons or events.
- All employees and offices are expected to promote the College and its activities in cooperation with MPR.
- Employees have the right to the freedom of expression. Unless authorized as a spokesperson, a College employee who interacts with the news media must ensure the media representative(s) understand they are not representing SFCC. (Reference Policy 3-14 Academic Freedom)
- An officer of a shared governance body may represent and communicate the views of that entity, while making it clear that they are representing that body, not the official position of the College.
- The position of official spokesperson for SFCC is usually reserved for the President, the Board Chair, the Executive Director of Marketing and Public Relations, or their designees.
Statement of Accountability and Responsibility
The President, through the Executive Director of Marketing and Public Relations and MPR shall be responsible for enforcing MPR procedures and policies. MPR shall work with the different departments and offices to comply with this policy and develop procedures that will enforce this policy regarding awareness.
3-14 Academic Freedom
1-4 Governing Board Code of Conduct
4-18 Political Activities and Testimony
SFCC Governing Board approved: 8/24/16