This policy describes the Governing Board’s commitment to maintaining a Statement of Expectations and adherence to professional ethics. Included are fiscal oversight; annual performance review of College goals and strategic plans; support of institutional independence to pursue truth, generation of new knowledge and intellectual inquiry free of government or special interest control; annual evaluation of the President; and evaluation of Governing Board performance; engagement with the institution’s major constituencies and oversight of general obligations.
Scope and Applicability
The Board established this policy on behalf of the College, and is applicable to all Governing Board members.
The primary functions of the Board as prescribed by statute are to establish the policies by which the college is to be administered, and to provide fiscal oversight and to delegate the administration of all College business to the President and his/her staff. In fulfilling its fiduciary responsibility all Board members have a duty to care by putting enough time, energy, study and collaboration to the work of the Board; loyalty by putting College interests above personal interests; obedience by promoting and being guided by the policy of the College; and good faith in honoring objectivity, confidentiality and diligence in decision making.
- Voting Governing Board Member
An elected or duly appointed (replacement) member of the Governing Board.
- Ex-officio member of the Governing Board
The President and the Student Government Association representative.
Governing Board members shall:
- Devote time, thought, and study to the duties and responsibilities of membership for the purpose of rendering effective and accountable service.
- Work with fellow Governing Board Members in a spirit of harmony and cooperation, and respect diversity in spite of differences of opinion that arise during vigorous debates of issues.
- Direct all requests for information from administration through the Board Chair or College President or during Board meetings.
- Maintain the confidential nature of Governing Board deliberations held in closed session, including written and verbal communication.
- Serve the public trust and fulfill their responsibilities ethically in a manner consistent with that obligation. Decisions are to be made solely to promote the best interests of the Community College and Board ill disclose personal, familial, business relationships, or other potential conflicts of interest as stated in the Conflict of Interest policy.
- Shall not accept or solicit, directly or indirectly, any gift, gratuity, favor, entertainment, loan, with a monetary value exceeding $100 with an aggregate of $1,000 in, or attempting to engage in, business transactions with the College.
- Hold confidential information learned as a Governing Board Member and avoid using such information for financial gain.
- Distinguish between personal opinion or personal positions and the official position taken by the Governing Board and uphold the decisions of the decisions made by a majority of the Board.
- Collaborate with other Governing Board Members to address any possible or apparent violations of this code through an open, respectful and diligent process.
- Actively support, promote and advocate for the Santa Fe Community College through fundraising, legislative advocacy, community engagements and other efforts deemed appropriate by the Governing Board.
Statement of Accountability and Responsibility
It is the responsibility of each individual Governing Board member to abide by this process and to challenge any member who is deviating from this code as we are all bound as a Board by the behavior of our colleagues.
POLICY APPROVAL: Original approval date: 5/24/07
Revised and SFCC Governing Board approved: 9/16/14