- Owned and Leased Vehicles – Procedures
This policy governs the purchase, scheduling and operation of Santa Fe Community College (SFCC or College) owned and leased vehicles.
Scope and Applicability
This policy applies to all staff, faculty and students responsible for scheduling, purchasing or operating vehicles obtained through the Office of General Services for College academic, administrative or operational purposes.
- All drivers must have completed a sanctioned National Safety Council defensive driving class.
- Purchasing or leasing of all vehicles is the responsibility of, and are purchased through, General Services.
- SFCC maintains two types of fleets: the motor pool fleet and a working fleet.
- SFCC motor pool vehicles are provided and maintained for College-related business.
- SFCC working fleet vehicles are leased, ordered and maintained by General
Services for various departments.
- Personal vehicles are not considered part of the College fleet. The College discourages the usage of personally owned vehicles as transportation for official College functions.
- Authorized passengers includes employees, students who have signed a release form, and other guests as approved by the President or his or her designee.
- Binder is a packet that consists of requirements for driving the vehicle, information such as registration, travel log, and vehicle keys.
- Motor Pool Fleet are SFCC owned or leased cars, pick-ups and vans that can be checked-out through General Services.
- Official College Functions are academic or administrative activities, work-related business meetings, trainings or conferences, college-sponsored events or programs or other events that serve SFCC’s mission, vision and values as a public educational institution.
- Working Fleet are all SFCC owned or leased vehicles used around campus including but not limited to maintenance carts, security carts, and grounds vehicles.
- Vehicle Acquisition
- Department or program specifications are included in the acquisition decision.
- General Services purchases all vehicles using the process required by the State of New Mexico.
- Vehicle Maintenance
- General Services is responsible for maintaining all College owned and leased vehicles.
- Vehicles are maintained regularly in accordance with the schedule recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
- Vehicle Use and Reservation
- College-owned and leased vehicles are available for use by College departments, official student organizations and programs for SFCC business. Prior approval for the use of any vehicle is required from the President or his or her designee and reservations must be granted by General Services.
- College owned and leased vehicles are not allowed for personal use.
- Vehicles should be reserved at the earliest time possible to ensure availability.
- Fees will be applied to the department’s budget. SFCC reserves the right to modify fees as necessary.
- A monthly evaluation of vehicle usage charges will be conducted. Charges to the program or department making the reservation will be based on actual mileage, unless other arrangements have been made with General Services.
- Damage to privately owned vehicles is not covered by the College insurance carrier, even when the vehicle is being used for College business.
- In order to operate a College-owned vehicle, the operator must carry legal documents and signed forms, including but not limited to a defensive driving certificate, valid NM state driver’s license, and proof of insurance.
- Only authorized passengers may ride in SFCC vehicles.
- Only service animals are allowed to be in SFCC vehicles unless prior approval has been obtained from the President or his/her designee.
- Vehicles must be returned promptly at the end of the allotted time.
- Tips and Safety
Operation of College owned vehicles must be in accordance with all federal, state, local regulations, traffic laws and ordinances.
- Accidents must be reported to the police (call 911) and General Services.
- Drivers are to record any damage.
- Costs Not Covered by SFCC Motor Pool
- All fines or traffic violations incurred by drivers of SFCC Motor Pool vehicles must be paid by the driver, except those for equipment malfunction. College funds may not be used for payment of fines or violations.
- Vehicle damage resulting from abuse, neglect, or the driver’s intentional action.
- Vehicle damage as a result of unauthorized use.
- Costs relating to other-than-normal vehicle expenses (except for equipment malfunctions) including unauthorized towing charges, vehicle damage, and accessory installations and removals (radios, etc.).
Statement of Accountability and Responsibility
The President, through the Executive Director for Plant Operations and Maintenance and Safety and Security and POMSS, including General Services, shall be responsible for enforcing college-owned and leased vehicle procedures and policies. POMSS shall work with the different departments and offices to comply with this policy and develop procedures that will enforce this policy regarding awareness, prevention, and remediation.
Policy 6-11 Procurement
The New Mexico Procurement Code (§13-1-21 to 13-1-199, NMSA, 1978 as amended)
SFCC Governing Board approved: 8/24/16