This policy provides guidance and outlines requirements to community members who are engaged in volunteering for or at Santa Fe Community College (SFCC or College).
Scope and Applicability
This policy applies to all those who volunteer at or for SFCC and the employees who manage them. All volunteers, students, and employees, including Governing Board members, shall comply with its provisions. This policy does not apply to SFCC employees who volunteer on their own time for entities outside the College.
Volunteers from the community who assist with College programs and activities are vital to SFCC’s success. It is the policy of SFCC to provide volunteers with a positive experience while also assuring the safety and security of SFCC students, faculty, staff, and property.
- Employees managing volunteers shall inform the Human Resources Office and shall refer all volunteers to register in the Human Resources Office.
- All prospective volunteers for SFCC must complete a Volunteer Information and Waiver Form prior to receiving permission to perform any tasks or participate in any activities.
- Human Resources is responsible for determining whether prospective volunteers should obtain a background check (Policy 4-46 Background Checks).
- SFCC accepts the service of all volunteers with the understanding that such service is at the sole discretion of the College. Volunteers agree that SFCC may at any time, for whatever reason, decide to terminate the volunteer’s relationship with the College.
- Volunteers are not authorized to, and may not, contact organizations or individuals on behalf of SFCC.
- Volunteers shall abide by all applicable SFCC policies and codes of conduct (Policy 4-1 Workplace Ethics and Code of Conduct).
Statement of Accountability and Responsibility
The President, through the Executive Director of Human Resources and Professional Development/EEO Officer and the Office of Human Resources, shall be responsible for enforcing human resources policies and procedures. The Office of Human Resources shall work with the different departments and offices to comply with this policy and develop procedures that will enforce this policy regarding awareness, prevention, and remediation.
- Employee includes all full- or part-time staff (regular, term, probationary, temporary); all student employees; all full or part-time faculty (core, probationary, temporary, adjunct); all administrators, including interim; and all contract employees who are identified as employees in their contracts.
- A Volunteer is anyone who, without compensation or expectation of compensation beyond reimbursement, performs a task at the direction of and on behalf of SFCC, and who has completed a Volunteer Information and Waiver Form prior to performance of any task or service. Volunteers shall not be considered “employees” of the College.
SFCC Governing Board approved: 10/25/17