This policy outlines the process for refunding tuition and fees for Santa Fe Community College (SFCC or College) credit and noncredit courses.
Scope and Applicability
This policy covers refunds for credit and noncredit courses and registration cancellations, whether initiated by the College or the student, and it applies to all students. This policy does not apply to contract training.
This policy establishes that students are entitled to receive refunds for classes or courses in accordance with published guidelines.The College has separate procedures for refunding credit and noncredit courses. Refunds may be based on the date the College receives notification of withdrawal or other valid circumstances.
- Contract Training Study of content designed or customized for specific audience related to certain skills or proficiency and of limited duration.
- Course fees are monies charged to a student to register for and attend a class, typically covering tuition and fees and, in some cases, other ancillary costs such as transportation, lodging, and admittance fees, when applicable.
- Course drop removes a course from the academic transcript and allows for a refund to be processed. Specific deadlines must be met.
- Course withdrawal is official notification from a student that they are terminating their enrollment in a course. For credit courses, a grade of “W” is recorded. Withdrawals are not eligible for a refund.
- Refund is a return of payment(s) made by a student to register for and participate in a course or program.
- Refund for Credit Courses.
- Credit class refunds are automatically processed and issued based on the deadline date provided in the Schedule of Credit Classes (available in hard copy and online).
- Refunds are based on the length of the course and the transaction deadlines provided in the Schedule of Credit Classes.
- Students will not be charged a fee by the College to receive a refund.
- Audited courses are not considered credit courses for financial aid purposes.
- A student who switches a course from credit status to audit status will not receive a refund.
- Refund for Noncredit Courses.
- Continuing Education classes are budgeted individually to be, at minimum, self-sustaining (that is, at least to recover all direct and indirect expenses associated with their operation).
- Class fees are automatically refunded if payment is received after the class or workshop is full.
- If a course is cancelled due to insufficient enrollment, course fees will be fully refunded.
- Different refund schedules may apply to conferences, programs and special events.
- Guidelines for noncredit course refunds are provided in the Continuing Education class schedule.
Statement of Accountability and Responsibility
The President, through the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs or their designee and the Office of Academic and Student Affairs, shall be responsible for enforcing course refund policies and procedures. The Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs shall work with the different departments and offices to comply with this policy and develop procedures that will enforce this policy regarding awareness, prevention and remediation.
SFCC Governing Board approved: 3/25/04
Revised and SFCC Governing Board approved: 5/28/08
Revised and SFCC Governing Board approved: 4/26/17