Adobe – The Original Green Building Material!
This program provides you with the knowledge and skills you’ll need to gain employment in the growing natural building fields of adobe construction, rammed earth, CEB construction and natural plastering. The program also functions as a stepping stone for entrepreneurs who wish to start a business in the natural building industry (e.g., adobe brick/compressed earth block (CEB) production, bagged earthen plasters, natural insulation materials). The program also welcomes non-professional owner-builders who wish to obtain the skills needed to design and build their own adobe home.
We teach you to build an adobe structure from foundation to roof using traditional New Mexican adobe construction principles combined with an emphasis on modern green building practices that incorporate sustainable building materials. We offer courses in:
- Passive Solar Adobe Design (site planning, building layout)
- Adobe Construction Basics (soil selection and testing, adobe brick production)
- Adobe Wall Construction (earthen mortars, correct brick coursing and leveling)
- Floor Design and Construction (poured earth, earth brick and rammed earth floors)
- Finish Practices (interior and exterior earthen and lime plasters)
- Roof Design and Construction (flat roofs, shed roofs, gable roofs for adobe structures)
- Preservation Practices (common examples of deterioration in adobe structures and their solutions)
- Adobe Building Practicum (hands-on field work)
- Rammed Earth Construction
- CEB Construction
For more information, please contact the School of Trades, Advanced Technology, and Sustainability, 505-428-1388, email@example.com.
- Entry Level Adobe Construction Worker
- Entry Level Project Planner/Developer
- Sustainability Coordinator