About the Program
Your degree or certificate in Sustainable Technologies provides you with an in-depth understanding of issues regarding sustainability, renewable energy, water treatment and water conservation. Through your chosen concentration, you’ll acquire the skills need for entry-level positions in a wide range of energy- and water-related businesses or public agencies. You could even consider starting your own business.
Along with your core and general education requirements, you will choose one of these concentrations:
BIOFUELS CONCENTRATION: (18 HRS.) CIP: 47.0614
ALTF 111 Introduction to Alternative Fuels and Vehicle Technologies (3)
ALTF 121 Biofuels I (4)
ALTF 221 Biofuels II (4)
CHEM 111 Introduction to Chemistry (3)
CHEM 111L Introduction to Chemistry Lab (1)
Approved elective (3)
SOLAR ENERGY CONCENTRATION: (19 HRS.) CIP: 15.0505
ELCT 227 National Electrical Code (2)
ENEF 114 House as a System (3)
SOLR 111 Introduction to Solar Energy (1)
SOLR 121 Design and Installation of Photovoltaic Systems I (3)
SOLR 131 Design and Installation of Solar Hot Water Systems (3)
WATER CONSERVATION TECHNOLOGIES CONCENTRATION: (17 HRS.) CIP: 15.0506
ENVR 215 Active Water Harvesting and Distribution Systems (3)
ENVR 216 Water Shed Management (3)
ENVR 217 Water System Auditing and Evaluation (3)
ENVR 217L Water System Auditing and Evaluation (1)
Approved Electives (4)
WATER TREATMENT OPERATION CONCENTRATION: (19 HRS.) CIP: 15.0506
WATR 111 Introduction to Water Treatment and Distribution Systems (2)
WATR 160 Applied Chemistry for Water Treatment Operators (4)
WATR 215 Permits, Regulations and Water Resource Management (3)
WATR 260 Advanced Water Treatment
WATR 290 Water Operator Certification Review (3)
By the end of this program, you should be able to:
- Provide leadership in creating and maintaining safe working environments
- Describe the function, design and installation of sustainable systems
- Recognize wasteful practices and recommend sustainable alternatives
- Measure and describe energy and its relationship to sustainable systems
- Develop and articulate a definition of sustainability
- Understand the principles of entrepreneurship and creating a sustainable small business
- Biofuels technician
- Photovoltaic installer
- Solar thermal technician
- Water conservation technician
- Wastewater technician
Degrees or Certificates
- Algae Cultivation Certificate
- Biofuels Certificate
- Facility Technologies Certificate
- General Studies, A.A.S.
- Solar Energy Certificate
- Sustainable Technologies Certificate
- Sustainable Technologies, Biofuels Concentration, A.A.S.
- Sustainable Technologies, Solar Energy Concentration, A.A.S.
- Sustainable Technologies, Water Conservation Technologies Concentration, A.A.S.
- Sustainable Technologies, Water Treatment Operation Concentration, A.A.S.
- Sustainable Technologies, A.A.S.
- Water Treatment Operation Certificate