New Mexico accepts two High School Equivalency (HSE) tests for earning High School diplomas and certification: The GED and the HiSET. A brief comparison of the tests is available here, but for more detailed information, contact the Adult Education Information Desk 505-428-1356 or the SFCC testing center 505-428-1625.
NOTICE: Due to the Covid pandemic, GED and HiSET testing will take place at the SFCC campus Testing Center on a limited basis until further notice. Please check this site for future updates on testing times or go to GED.com to register and schedule your exams.
Notice: The GED exams will be administered on Wednesdays and Thursdays of February, March, and April. Please check this site for future updates. The GED exams are available on computer only. The GED consists of four tests:
- Reasoning through Language Arts: 150 minutes, includes a 45 minute essay.
- Mathematical Reasoning: 115 minutes
- Science: 90 minutes
- Social Studies: 90 minutes.
Log onto the GED website, for more information and free practice tests.
The cost for taking the GED is $20 per test. In addition, SFCC Testing Center charges a $10 seating fee per test payable at the time of testing, however, the Testing Center fee is waived for the months of March and April. Please check this site for future updates.
GED RETAKE POLICY
Two free retakes per test
- Below Passing: 100-144
- GED Passing Score: 145-169
- GED Honors Score: 170-200
Notice: HiSET exams will be administered on Tuesdays during February, March, and April. Please check this site for future updates. HiSET exams are available in computer and paper versions, however at this time only the computer version will be available. The HiSET consists of five tests.
- Language Arts-Reading: 40 multiple choice, (65 minutes)
- Language Arts-Writing: 50 multiple choice(75 minutes) and one essay (45 minutes)
- Math: 50 multiple choice (90 minutes) Hand-held calculator allowed.
- Social Studies 50 multiple choice (70 minutes)
- Science 50 multiple choice (80 minutes)
Log on to the HiSET website for more information and free practice tests.
HiSET exam costs $10 per test. In addition, SFCC Testing Center seating fee is waived indefinitely. Please check back here for more updates.
HiSET RETAKE POLICY
HiSET provides two free retakes.
To pass HiSET, a student must meet three requirements:
- Score at least 8 out of 20 on each test
- Score at least 2 out of 6 on the essay
- Achieve a total score across all tests of at least 45
DIPLOMAS AND TRANSCRIPTS
Official transcripts are available at http://www.diplomasender.com/. An e-mail address is required to create an account. The first copy of your official transcript is free. Additional copies are $18.
For more information, please contact the Testing Center at 505-428-1625.