New Mexico accepts two High School Equivalency (HSE) tests for earning High School diplomas and certification: The GED and the HiSet. A brief comparison of the tests is available here, but for more detailed information, contact the Adult Education Information Desk 505-428-1356 or the SFCC testing center 505-428-1910.
The GED exams are available on computer only. The GED consists of four tests:
- Reasoning through Language Arts: 150 minutes, includes a 45 minute essay.
- Mathematical Reasoning: 115 minutes
- Science: 90 minutes
- Social Studies: 90 minutes.
Log onto the GED website, for more information and free practice tests.
The cost for taking the GED is $20 per test. In addition, SFCC Testing Center charges a $10 seating fee per test payable at the time of testing.
GED RETAKE POLICY
Two free retakes per test
- Below Passing: 100-144
- GED Passing Score: 145-169
- GED Honors Score: 170-200
HiSet exams are available in computer and paper versions. The HiSET consists of five tests.
- Language Arts-Reading: 40 multiple choice, (65 minutes)
- Language Arts-Writing: 50 multiple choice(75 minutes) and one essay (45 minutes)
- Math: 50 multiple choice (90 minutes) Hand-held calculator allowed.
- Social Studies 50 multiple choice (70 minutes)
- Science 50 multiple choice (80 minutes)
Log on to the HiSET website for more information and free practice tests.
HiSET exam costs $10 per test. In addition, SFCC Testing Center charges an $8 seating fee per test, payable at the time of testing.
HiSET RETAKE POLICY
HiSet provides two free retakes.
To pass HiSET, a student must meet three requirements:
- Score at least 8 out of 20 on each test
- Score at least 2 out of 6 on the essay
- Achieve a total score across all tests of at least 45
DIPLOMAS AND TRANSCRIPTS
Official transcripts are available at http://www.diplomasender.com/. An e-mail address is required to create an account. The first copy of your official transcript is free. Additional copies are $18.
For more information, please contact Ellen Roth, 505-428-1910, firstname.lastname@example.org.