English | Spanish
About the Exams: Why do I need to take an assessment exam?
English is an important foundational subject for many Degree and Certificate programs. Assessment tests are tools used to determine your skill level with these subjects, and ensure you are enrolling in appropriate classes for your success.
● Assessment for English course placement can be met in two ways: GPA review with your advisor or an ACCUPLACER assessment exam.
● English assessment exams are for post-traditional learners, English Language Learners, and those entering the iBest program.
|Required documentation: Government issued photo ID or Student ID, access to your A#, and login information for your mysfcc.edu account.|
English Assessment Options
High school graduates (within the past 5 years) are recommended to meet with an advisor to review school transcripts/GPA for class placement prior to registration.
Academic advisors will use multiple measures to place students in the appropriate classes. Students will be involved in these intentional conversations regarding placement and skill level.
High School information will be assessed on a case-to-case basis. GPA may be taken into consideration:
HS GPA: 2.0-2.59 —> ENGL 111- and ENGL 1110 L
HS GPA: 2.6 and above —> ENG 1110
Anyone with more than 5 years since high school graduation will need to take the ACCUPLACER Reading and Writing assessment exams. This can be taken into consideration for your placement, but placement is ultimately decided on a case-by-case basis between the advisor and student.
For this option, testers will need a reference from their advisor to register for assessment.
Click on one of the following links for ACCUPLACER test-prep Resources
For a copy of your ACCUPLACER test scores please visit the ACCUPLACER student portal.
If you would like your ACCUPLACER scores sent to another institution, you may use the student portal (this requires your Student ID number; for SFCC students, this is known as your A number) or, you can provide the Testing Center with a copy of your ID, your contact information, and the email address for your participating agency, college, or University. If you require any assistance in this process, please contact the Testing Center at 1-505-428-1625 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SFCC utilized assessment exams and meetings with advisors to place students in the most appropriate English and math class. See the matrix below regarding English assessment exams.
If a tester needs additional study time, check out the Learning Resources Portal in the “ACCUPLACER Student Portal” and type in the “Learning Locator” code found at the bottom of your individual Score Report. Below is an example.
Spanish Assessment Exam-WebCAPE
Why take an Assessment?
● To help make sure students are placed into the Spanish level that is best for them, SFCC requires all students to take the Spanish Assessment Exam.
● We have adopted an assessment exam to gauge your language ability and give a recommendation for which level Spanish you should begin with.
Do I have to study for the test?
● There is no need to study for the Assessment. It is meant to assesses your language skills as they are. Do your best for the most accurate placement since it will allow you to be in the right class.
How will I be evaluated?
● TheWebCAPE Spanish Placement Test is a multiple-choice computerized exam that tests a student’s knowledge of Spanish at different levels of difficulty. The test is multiple-choice and covers grammar, reading, and vocabulary. It is an adaptive test, which means that the difficulty will vary depending on how you respond. Do not get discouraged if you are unfamiliar with some of the material. Make your best guess and go on to the next question.
Go here to take the assessment.
● Time for completion is approximately 20-40 minutes, depending upon each person’s experience and level of comfort with the language.
● Upon completion of the Test, score will display immediately.
● Technical issues contact IT at 505-428-1222
Note: Courses are not offered every semester. Contact (email@example.com ) if you have questions regarding course offerings.
|Test Scores||SFCC Spanish Course|