This trip has been canceled due to the COVID-19 Pandemic
Southern Italy: Insights and Images Spring 2020
May 4 – 8, 2020
May 18 – 30, 2020
Instructors: Bernadette Jacobs and Diane Tintor
Only 20 spots available
Begin your journey at Naples and visit the Greek temples at Paestum, the archeological site of Pompeii, and the romantic island of Capri before moving on to Sorrento, Sister City of Santa Fe, NM and one Italy’s most breathtaking coastal areas. Travel from Sorrento by boat to the beautiful Amalfi coast before moving further off the beaten path to the region of Apulia at the heel of the Italian boot.
Referred to as “the Tuscany of the South,” Apulia is beginning to enjoy international recognition. From the capital city of Bari with its historic architectural landmarks and its modern French side, to the UNESCO World Heritage cone-shaped trulli dwellings of Alberobello, explore much that is unique and unusual. Wander the streets of Matera, named the 2019 European Capital of Culture, visit the historical cave dwellings there, plus so much more.
Investigate the Greek, Roman and religious art and architecture of southern Italy along with the influence of classical Greek archetypes that helped shape Western culture in a week-long in person course at Santa Fe Community College before you start your travel adventure.
Cost per person: $3,059 for double occupancy or $3,655 for single occupancy plus registration fee of $599.
Deposit of $500 and registration fee of $599 is due at registration.
Included in the cost of the trip are:
- Hotels (11 nights) and all breakfasts
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- Italian speaking tour escort for entire trip
- Guided day trip by hydrofoil to island of Capri
- Transportation by private bus with professional driver
- Cooking class in Sorrento
- Local licensed guides in Bari and Sorrento
- Special cultural visits such as to Limoncello factory, food tasting in Sassi and Bari
- Day cultural trip to Matera and Capri
Does NOT include your flight to and from Italy or admission fees to sites
- Sat., Oct. 26, 10 a.m., Travel Bug, 839 Paseo de Peralta
- Sun., Dec. 8, 2 p.m., Travel Bug, 839 Paseo de Peralta
- Wed., Jan. 22, 5:30 p.m., SFCC Room 711
- Sat., Feb. 1, 10 a.m., Travel Bug, 839 Paseo de Peralta
For more information and trip itinerary contact SFCC Continuing Education at 505-428-1676 or firstname.lastname@example.org