Good Morning SFCC Students!!
Please read below for important information and updates.
Course Options starting in October
Are you interested in picking up another class this term? Do you have a general education class you need for your program? Registration is open for late starting classes – don’t wait and contact your academic advisor to discuss some of the courses that are starting on October 19. Book your academic advising appointment by clicking the following link: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/AcademicAdvising@sfccnm.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/
|Academic Advising – You can book online! You can now book and manage appointments using our booking page. outlook.office365.com|
Flu season is upon us. Vaccinations are available at a number of locations throughout our community. Check out the attachment with a complete list!
1) The Campus Cupboard is offering FREE FOOD distribution each Friday from 12-4pm. Students can drive-up to the West Wing for a contactless pick-up. We currently do not require any student identifiable proof.
2) Check out the Monday Funday information!
1) Are you a currently enrolled in the Fall semester and are experiences some financial challenges? have you experienced a recent emergency and need just a little help? Apply today through theStudent Emergency Fund. Applications can be found on your MYSFCC page under Resources (Emergency Assistance Fund). Applications are reviewed frequently, and funds are directly awarded to your account. (The funds cannot cover the cost of tuition or books.)
2) Did you know that you may be eligible for FREE GRANT MONEY? Have you completed your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If not, it’s easy, apply today at www.fafsa.gov. Even if you are taking a few classes, you may still be eligible. For more information please contact our financial aid office at (505) 428-1268. The 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 applications are available now.
1) Students will not be dropped for non-payment. If you are currently enrolled, you must pay in full or make payment arrangements with the cashier’s office. Contact them today at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Please check out the attached Important Dates document for other updates.
Laptops or HOTSPOT
Students can email email@example.com to be added to the current waitlist for a laptop. Please use your student email and a phone number where you can be reached. You will be contacted once a laptop becomes available.
Hotspots are now available. A WiFi hotspot allows access to the internet through a wireless connection. If you need access to the internet for your classes schedule a hotspot device pickup time by using the following link:
If you are having problems accessing the textbooks you need for class, look for your textbooks in the library’s new eTextbook tool, BibliU. https://bibliu.com/users/saml/samlSantaFeCommunityCollege
Contact us if you have questions at: firstname.lastname@example.org
FREE specialty hot dog, chips and drink at CHICAGO DOG on Monday, OCTOBER 5. Check out the flier for more detailed information.
1) Are you new to SFCC or returning and still have some questions about services or programs the College offers? We have an online orientation that may be able to help answer some of your questions. Join today, at NO COST, and get connected with all the great services and resources available to you. Simply click the link and enroll today, no cost, no credit, but tons of great information! https://sfcc.instructure.com/enroll/RAHNPY
SCHOLARSHIP for Students Pursuing Two-Year degree, trade, or certificate
Los Alamos National Labatory (LANL) is providing scholarship opportunities for students pursuing a two-year degree, trade or certificate. Check out the flier for more detailed information. Apply today, deadline is NOVEMBER 16!
SCHOLARSHIP For Mexican National or Mexican Origin Students
The IME BECAS Scholarship is available for Mexican National or Mexican Origin students. You are a Mexican National if you maintain citizenship in Mexico. You are of Mexican Origin if you were born in the US and your parents or grandparents came from Mexico. Scholarship will cover financial assistance for tuition and fees. DEADLINE to apply is October 23 – apply now: https://www.sfcc.edu/offices/financial-aid/ (scroll down and click on the IME Becas apply now link). Applications and personal statement must be mailed to email@example.com.
VETERANS RESOURCE CENTER NEWSLETTER
Check out the resourceful newsletter from the Veteran’s Resource Center.
VOTE VOTE VOTE
1) Please see the attached letter from your SGA President where he provides you a link where you can register to vote and a link to request your absentee ballot! YOUR VOICE MATTERS!!
CELEBRATING THE BILINGUAL CHILD MONTH
October is Celebrating the Bilingual Child Month. A person who is bilingual knows two or more languages and understand multiple cultures. This month recognizes bilingual children. These children act as a bridge between multiple cultures.
LGBT HISTORY MONTH
Every day in October, LGBT History Month recognizes the achievements of men and women in the LGBT community. LGBT History Month encourages informative discussions to learn more about the leaders in the movement who drove equality forward.
HISTORY: In 1994, Rodney Wilson, a Missouri high school teacher, believed a month should be dedicated to the celebration and teaching of gay and lesbian history. He gathered other teachers and community leaders. Together, they selected October because public schools are in session and existing traditions, such as Coming Out Day (October 11), occur that month. Gay and Lesbian History Month was endorsed by GLAAD, the Human Rights Campaign, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, the National Education Association and other national organizations. In 2006 ,Equality Forum assumed responsibility for providing content, promotion and resources for LGBT History Month.
“With a new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Always Your Champion,
Thomasinia Ortiz-Gallegos, Ed.D.
Associate Vice President for Student Success
Santa Fe Community College