Good Morning SFCC Students!!
Please read below for important information and updates.
Course Options starting in October
Are you interested in picking up another class this term? Do you have a general education class you need for your program? Registration is open for late starting classes – don’t wait and contact your academic advisor to discuss some of the courses that are starting on October 19. Book your academic advising appointment by clicking the following link:
|Academic Advising – You can book online! You can now book and manage appointments using our booking page. outlook.office365.com|
Dia de los Muertos
Student Government Association invites all students to participate with the celebration recognition! Submit a picture of a passed loved one along with their story to SGA@sfcc.edu by October 26th to be recognized in a virtual photo album. We thank you for sharing in your tribute to those who walked before us.
Flu season is upon us. Vaccinations are available at a number of locations throughout our community. Check out the attachment with a complete list!
The Donald M. Payne International Development Fellowship Program is the United States Agency for International Development program administered by Howard University for individuals interested in becoming Foreign Service Officers. USAID Foreign Service Officers work on the front lines of some of the most pressing global challenges of our times, including poverty, injustice, disease, environmental degradation, and conflict. They are part of a corps of officers who have worked for more than fifty years to make lasting improvements to the lives of millions of people around the globe. Please read the three attachments (PayneFellowship) for more information.
The Campus Cupboard is offering FREE FOOD distribution each Friday from 12-4pm. Students can drive-up to the West Wing for a contactless pick-up. We currently do not require any student identifiable proof.
1) Are you a currently enrolled in the Fall semester and are experiences some financial challenges? have you experienced a recent emergency and need just a little help? Apply today through the Student Emergency Fund. Applications can be found on your MYSFCC page under Resources (Emergency Assistance Fund). Applications are reviewed frequently, and funds are directly awarded to your account. (The funds cannot cover the cost of tuition or books.)
2) Did you know that you may be eligible for FREE GRANT MONEY? Have you completed your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If not, it’s easy, apply today at www.fafsa.gov. Even if you are taking a few classes, you may still be eligible. For more information please contact our financial aid office at (505) 428-1268. The 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 applications are available now.
1) Students will not be dropped for non-payment. If you are currently enrolled, you must pay in full or make payment arrangements with the cashier’s office. Contact them today at email@example.com.
2) Please check out the attached Important Dates document for other updates.
Laptops or HOTSPOT
Students can email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the current waitlist for a laptop. Please use your student email and a phone number where you can be reached. You will be contacted once a laptop becomes available.
Hotspots are now available. A WiFi hotspot allows access to the internet through a wireless connection. If you need access to the internet for your classes schedule a hotspot device pickup time by using the following link:
Midterms are scheduled October 12-16. Work with your faculty for any further information. Take some extra time to study and ask questions. GOOD LUCK!
1) Are you new to SFCC or returning and still have some questions about services or programs the College offers? We have an online orientation that may be able to help answer some of your questions. Join today, at NO COST, and get connected with all the great services and resources available to you. Simply click the link and enroll today, no cost, no credit, but tons of great information! https://sfcc.instructure.com/enroll/RAHNPY
Pumpkin Carving Contest
Student Government Association is thrilled to announce a virtual Pumpkin Carving Contest for our students!
The six categories are:
Submit a picture of your final carving creation to SGA@sfcc.edu by October 26th to enter! Each winner will receive a $25 visa gift card! Winners will be announced via Facebook with an Eblast to follow. Follow SFCC- Student Government Association of Facebook to see the winners!
SCHOLARSHIP for Students Pursuing Two-Year degree, trade, or certificate
Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is providing scholarship opportunities for students pursuing a two-year degree, trade or certificate. Check out the flier for more detailed information. Apply today, deadline is NOVEMBER 16!
SCHOLARSHIP For Mexican National or Mexican Origin Students
The IME BECAS Scholarship is available for Mexican National or Mexican Origin students. You are a Mexican National if you maintain citizenship in Mexico. You are of Mexican Origin if you were born in the US and your parents or grandparents came from Mexico. Scholarship will cover financial assistance for tuition and fees. DEADLINE to apply is October 23 – apply now: https://www.sfcc.edu/offices/financial-aid/ (scroll down and click on the IME Becas apply now link). Applications and personal statement must be mailed to email@example.com.
STUDY SPACE (In-person sites)
The SFCC library is excited to welcome you back to campus! The library is now open by reservation Monday-Thursday 9am-1pm (additional hours will be added in the future). This service is for students and for independent study only (students must come to study alone). Reservations must be made 24-hours ahead of time and check-in at the campus COVID checkpoint is required. We hope to see you soon! For an explanation of services and to make reservations visit: https://libraryhelp.sfcc.edu/reservations
The Higher Education Center (HEC) is also excited to welcome students to the center! Reservations for study space are available Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays during the following times: 8:00-10:00, 9:00-11:00, 10:30-12:30, 11:30-1:30, 1:00-3:00, 2:00-4:00. Students can make reservations on the HEC webpage https://www.sfcc.edu/higher-education-center/ or by email at HEC@sfcc.edu. Santa Fe HEC staff will follow up with confirmation of the reservation.
All COVID guidelines will be followed and check-in at each location is required.
VETERANS RESOURCE CENTER
VOTE VOTE VOTE
1) Please see the attached letter from your SGA President where he provides you a link where you can register to vote and a link to request your absentee ballot! YOUR VOICE MATTERS!!
Celebrate Ingenious Peoples Day on October 12!
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month – Support the Fight!
“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
Always Your Champion,
Thomasinia Ortiz-Gallegos, Ed.D.
Associate Vice President for Student Success
Santa Fe Community College