Need help filing your taxes? The AARP Foundation is providing free tax assistance and preparation through its Tax-Aide program. The services are provided by volunteers from the community. COVID restrictions and state and local guidelines will guide the services. Please review the information below to make an appointment and to be sure that you have all necessary documents.
Location: Santa Fe Higher Education Center, 1950 Siringo Rd.
Start Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2022
End Date: Wednesday, April 13, 2022
Days of operation: Monday through Friday
Hours of operation: 8:30 am – 3:00 pm
Phone: (505) 428-1780 For information Voice Mails only, volunteers will return calls when possible.
Holiday or other closures: Any COVID-related closures, HEC observed holiday closures, SFCC/HEC Spring Break (Mar. 14 through Mar. 18), and HEC weather delays or closures (appointments affected by weather delays or closures will be re-scheduled).
Appointments are required and may be made AFTER JAN. 15, 2022!
To Make an Appointment click HERE
Intake and other forms will be available outside the building, during tax preparation hours. Please pick up an intake form (in English or Spanish), envelopes and other forms (Itemized Deduction, Education Expense, Self-Employed Income Worksheets) on days we are open beginning Jan 31, 2022. These will be located in plastic bins outside the entrance of the HEC. You may also download these forms below.
Please complete the intake form (and other worksheets that apply) prior to your appointment. If you cannot pick them up prior to your appointment, then please arrive at least 20 minutes early to complete the forms in your vehicle.
When you arrive for your appointment please call the phone number posted at the entrance and a volunteer give you instructions for the appointment. Please have your cell phone available on the day of your appointment and prepare to wait in your vehicle while we review and scan your documents.
For taxpayers, who are married and filing jointly, both individuals must be present to sign documents. Exceptions may be made only when a spouse is unable to be present due to health issues.
NOTE: Individual appointments must be made for each member of a household or group that is filing a return!
• Amounts of Third Economic Impact Payment (Stimulus Checks) received in 2021
• Copy of prior year return
• Driver’s License or State ID of the primary filers
• Social Security Card or ITIN Letters for taxpayers and dependents
• Social Security Year End Statement
• Bank information (routing and account numbers) for direct deposit or direct debit
• Income documents: W-2s; 1099’s for retirement income or self-employment; interest, dividend, capital gains or brokerage statements; Unemployment (form 1099-G); gambling wins (form W2-G and related loss documentation)
• IRS Letter 6419 if you chose to receive advance child tax credit payments
• Individuals eligible for State/County Rebates or Credits– bring 2020 property tax bill(s) or rent information, out-of-pocket medical expenses (no over-the-counter or medical cannabis-related expenses) and other household income
• List and supporting documents for itemized deductions or credits: childcare, college, or vocational training information (1098-T), medical expenses not covered by insurance – including mileage, charity donations, property tax bills or receipts and mortgage interest paid.
IF THEY APPLY TO YOU, ALSO BRING:
• Self-employed Income and Expenses Documentation: 1099 NEC or other income, employment related expenditures, business miles. Determine if claiming COVID eligible sick or family leave and provide number of days claimed; and, decide whether you will be deferring self-employment taxes.
• Market Place insurance documents (1095-A)
The AARP Foundation Tax Aide Program cannot prepare returns that include (these are Out of Scope):
- Rental income
- Married individuals who file separately
- Self-employment returns with expenses of more than $35,000 or more, home office deduction, employees, inventory or operating loss
- Royalty income with associated expenses
- Casualty loss
- Out-of-state or multi-state returns, except for states with no state income tax (Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming)
To make an appointment: Click HERE
For free online tax filing resources please visit: https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free
For more information please call: (505) 428-1780 – leave a message and a volunteer will return your call, when possible.