Good Morning SFCC Students!!
Please read below for important information and updates.
The past several months have been a challenging time for everyone and Counseling Services is here to support you. Remote learning has come with the added difficulty of social isolation, and on top of that, many of us have lost love ones throughout the pandemic. We are here to help. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in participating. We very much look forward to meeting with you!
1) The Campus Cupboard is offering FREE FOOD distribution each Friday from 12-4pm. Students can drive-up to the West Wing for a contactless pick-up. We currently do not require any student identifiable proof.
2) Thanksgiving gift card distribution. See more information below.
1) Are you a currently enrolled in the Fall semester and are experiences some financial challenges? have you experienced a recent emergency and need just a little help? Apply today through the Student Emergency Fund. Applications can be found on your MYSFCC page under Resources (Emergency Assistance Fund). Applications are reviewed frequently, and funds are directly awarded to your account. (The funds cannot cover the cost of tuition or books.)
2) Did you know that you may be eligible for FREE GRANT MONEY? Have you completed your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If not, it’s easy, apply today at www.fafsa.gov. Even if you are taking a few classes, you may still be eligible. For more information please contact our financial aid office at (505) 428-1268. The 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 applications are available now.
3) LANL Foundation is offering a scholarship for all students pursing a two-year degree. Check out the LANL Foundation attachment for more information. (Deadline to apply is November 16.)
1) Students will not be dropped for non-payment. If you are currently enrolled, you must pay in full or make payment arrangements with the cashier’s office. Contact them today at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Please check out the attached Important Dates document for other updates.
LANL Career Pathways Scholarship Ambassador, a message
My name is Amy Ketcheson. I am a Santa Fe native and a second year SFCC student seeking an AS in Computer Science. I received the LANL Foundation’s Career Pathways Scholarship in 2019 and I am a proud LANL Scholar! I have an incredible, almost 1-year-old son named Atlas and a loving partner at home. After graduating SFCC I hope to start earning a BA in software engineering with a minor in business at either UNM or Highlands. I spent about 20 years of my life in food and beverage. I started busing tables at 14 years-old and eventually moved my way to high end pastry chefing. Food and beverage served me well but I am excited to see where my education takes me and my family. Wyetta Bradley, former LANL Scholars Ambassador, is a dear friend of mine and is helping me getting adjusted to the new position; I thank her greatly for it. I am as honored as I am thrilled to be onboarding as SFCC’s new LANL Scholars Ambassador. I am a very down to earth person and I love to help others. I am also very familiar with campus resources and actively participate in TRiO. I look forward to connecting with each of you soon!
Let’s chat! The SFCC library staff is available to live chat with you Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm. Look for the brown chat box that reads “Questions? Ask a Librarian!” You can find it at the bottom of all the library’s websites: https://www.sfcc.edu/offices/library/. By clicking on the box you can chat live with an SFCC librarian. We can help you with your research topics and help you find the resources you need to complete your assignments. We miss seeing you in person, so drop by for a chat!
On Monday, November 16th SFCC will have a campus wide power shutdown. The power shut down will begin at 5:30pm and will continue through 2pm. EMAIL and CANVAS will remain available.
Spring 2021 early registration is happening NOW! Visit with your professional academic advisor to confirm your academic plans and review course offerings. Book you appointment today! https://www.sfcc.edu/offices/welcome-and-advising-center/
SCHOLARSHIP for Students Pursuing Two-Year degree, trade, or certificate
Los Alamos National Labatory (LANL) is providing scholarship opportunities for students pursuing a two-year degree, trade or certificate. Check out the flier for more detailed information. Apply today, deadline is NOVEMBER 16! Check out the LANL flier for more information!
THANKSGIVING Gift Card Distribution
Student Government Association is giving FREE gift card’s to support Thanksgiving meals. Email your interest to SGA President, Ian Widrick Martinez at email@example.com or SGA Advisor, Mary Eleas at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, November 20. All emails must be from your official SFCC email address and need to include your first, last name and Anumber.
All courses that have a Canvas component now have access to this online tutoring service. Please click on the following link for more information.
World Kindness Day
“World Kindness Day is a global day that promotes the importance of being kind to each other, to yourself, and to the world. This day, celebrated on November 13 of each year, has the purpose is to help everyone understand that compassion for others is what binds us all together.”
“I’ve been searching for ways to heal myself and I have found that kindness is the best way.” – Lady Gaga
“Kind words can be short and sweet but their echoes can be truly endless.” – Mother Teresa
“Be kind wherever possible, it is always possible.” – Dalai Lama
Always Your Champion,
Thomasinia Ortiz-Gallegos, Ed.D.
Associate Vice President for Student Success
Santa Fe Community College