SFCC Coronavirus Closure General FAQs


Categories: COVID-19Fitness CenterGeneralStudent

In accordance with the health orders of the Office of the Governor, the Fitness Education Center remains closed. More information is available on SFCC’s Campus Reopening Plan page.

Categories: COVID-19General

Santa Fe Community College has transitioned to an online learning environment in response to COVID-19. If you signed up for a dedicated online class at SFCC during the fall semester, it/they will take place as scheduled. Deans and faculty are currently working together to provide practical online alternatives for many on-ground classes impacted by the campus closure. Please contact your instructor for guidance on your particular class. Certain services will be available during the closure – see the Student and Employee FAQs for more details. During this time, the campuses for Santa Fe Community College, Santa Fe Higher Education Center and Kids Campus are closed.

Categories: COVID-19General

No, the college campus is closed through the end of the fall semester. Certain services will be available during the closure, see the Student and Employee FAQs for details.

Categories: COVID-19General

SFCC President Becky Rowley has announced the halt of all SFCC-related travel until further notice. The New Mexico Department of Health updated its travel recommendations for individuals contemplating out-of-state travel in the coming weeks and months: “We care about you. And while we cannot regulate your personal travel decisions, we strongly advise you to reconsider out-of-state travel,” the advisory states. “You will be recommended to self-isolate for 14 calendar days upon your return. Also, as travel bans can be implemented, you run the risk of being unable to return to New Mexico.” If you plan to travel out of state or country over spring break, the NMDOH has asked that you call them with screening questions. They have set up a 24-hour hotline at 1-855-600-3453. Also, please review these self-quarantine guidelines.

Categories: COVID-19General

If you think you are having symptoms consistent with the coronavirus, been in contact with someone who is displaying symptoms or has tested positive for COVID-19, or you have tested positive for COVID 19, you should stay home and first call the 24-hour New Mexico Department of Health hotline at 1-855-600-3453. They will provide an over-the-phone assessment and guidance for next steps. It’s also very important that you contact your SFCC instructor(s) or, if you are an employee, your immediate supervisor as soon as possible. This will help the SFCC COVID -19 Response team help you with the next steps to allow you back on campus as soon as possible as well as protect everyone in the SFCC Community. Please view SFCC’s Contact Tracing and Rapid Response Procedures on Page 6.

Categories: COVID-19General

Contact counselors at ComPsych Guidance Resources at 866-676-3367, TTY 800-697-0353.

Categories: COVID-19GeneralHEC

Online classes will continue as scheduled.  NMHU faculty are working to adapt in-person classes to an online format wherever possible.  Contact your instructor for more information.

Categories: COVID-19EmployeeFacultyGeneralStudent

Categories: COVID-19EmployeeGeneral

This is a stressful situation. Please consider making an extra effort to practice self-care, physical health, mindfulness practices or whatever works for you, to help allay anxiety and promote personal health.