SFCC TESOL and Bilingual Education programs are 12 credit hours and can be earned online, in the classroom or as a combination. Whether online or on site, courses are all taught by certified instructors. SFCC’s Teacher Education Program is state accredited and follows national accreditation standards (NCATE). Teachers must pass the NES ESOL Test for licensure with the NM Public Education Department. Students in the teacher alternative licensure program often return for TESOL and Bilingual certification once they complete their program.
Teachers who apply for the TESOL or Bilingual Education programs must register, obtain an SFCC “A” number and complete the appropriate application packets.
CORE REQUIREMENTS: (6 HRS.)
- EDUC 260 Language Learning and Teaching (3)
- EDUC 262 Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (3)
- Any foreign language courses (6)
- Current teaching license
- Completion of the TESOL Application Packet.
- Official college transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate study (if transferring in credits from another institution)
For information about the SFCC/LISTO collaboration, which provides an opportunity for teachers to earn a TESOL certificate along with an immersion experience in Oaxaca, Mexico, click here.