Few careers are as rewarding as teaching and teachers are in demand, especially in the areas of bilingual and special education, high school math and science, and English as a second language. If you have an interest in helping people and your community, then a teacher education degree might be right for you. To become a great teacher, it helps to have a great teacher. Faculty in SFCC’s Teacher Education Program are the very best, here to help you succeed in this noble and rewarding profession.
The Santa Fe Community College teacher education program is designed to prepare you to go on to a university and earn a bachelor’s degree in elementary, bilingual and special education, language arts, social studies and foreign language, or math, science and physical education. Offering a wide range of courses that include field-based teaching observations, orientation to the teaching profession, and theories of teaching and learning, SFCC’s program prepares you for a highly successful career.
The courses are patterned after the lower-division courses at universities so you’ll get the required general education courses, plus core requirements relating to all three areas of specialization. Sign up for supervised field experience for a hands-on opportunity to expand your educational experience in this program.
Areas of Study (click to expand)
Teacher Academy: The Teacher Academy is a state accredited alternative teacher licensure program for qualified individuals who want to earn a license in teaching.
Bilingual Education Endorsement: This program facilitates achievement of the New Mexico Public Education Department (NMPED) bilingual education teacher competencies and provides a means for NM teachers to add the bilingual endorsement to their teaching licenses. Spanish and English are both used as a language of instruction.
TESOL Endorsement: SFCC TESOL and Bilingual Education programs are 12 credit hours and can be earned online, in the classroom or as a combination. Whether online or on site, courses are all taught by certified instructors. SFCC’s Teacher Education Program is state accredited and follows national accreditation standards (NCATE).
TESOL and Spanish Language Institute: Teachers can now earn a TESOL (Teaching English as a Second Language) endorsement in as few as two semesters through online courses, and cultural immersion.
For more information, please contact Academic Advising, 505-428-1270, email@example.com.
- Adult education
- Education administration
- Student affairs
Degrees or Certificates
- Associate in Arts in Teacher Education
- Teacher Certification in Bilingual Education Endorsement
- Teacher Certification in Early Childhood Education
- Teacher Certification in Secondary Education
- Teacher Certification in Elementary Education
- Teacher Certification in Special Education
- Teacher Certification in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages Endorsement (TESOL)
- Associate in Applied Science in Early Childhood Education
- Associate in Arts in Early Childhood Education
- Understanding the teaching profession
- Oral and written communication
- Problem solving
- Understanding curriculum
- Facilitating group learning
- Summarizing ideas ›Understanding diversity issues
- Understanding best practices in teaching and learning
- Understanding the role, purpose and culture of schools