The Santa Fe EFDA Program (Expanded Function Dental Auxiliary) is designed to train Certified Dental Assistants (CDA), NM Licensed Dental Assistants, Registered Dental Hygienists (RDH) and other NM Dental Board approved dental auxiliaries, in the art of Restorative Dentistry and other NM Dental Board approved EFDA duties. Upon successful completion of this program, an auxiliary is eligible to sit for the state certifying examination approved by the NM Board of Dental Healthcare. The curriculum for this course has been approved by the NM Board of Dental Health care.
The EFDA Program is a rigorous and challenging program. Students are expected to attend all lecture, laboratory, and clinical sessions. Students must be very familiar with restorative procedures, be able to use both direct vision and indirect mirror vision to complete and evaluate restorations, and will have to perfect fine motor skills to enable the accurate and safe application of dental handpieces and instruments.
Here is the link to the Acadental website. Please be advised that the typodont to be used for the Restorative Board Exam is the Acadental ModuPRO model MP_R320®. Please contact Acadental Representative, Jeff Scott, directly at 913-599-3192 regarding typodont and prep availability and purchasing information. SFCC’s EFDA program has added fee for purchasing the Typodont, Cheeks and extra prepped teeth in the EFDA Lab fee. These are delivered to the students in the dental lab.
EFDA Students will attend didactic course online and are able to choose on-site labs on the weekends. Clinics will be scheduled at affiliated dental sites and/or sponsor dentist’s office. Hands-on learning takes place in our state-of-the-art onsite training dental lab. Each student has their own workstation, materials, study material, an overhead lamp, and life-like simulator/ mounts to learn the clinical skills necessary to restore teeth with amalgam and composite fillings and perform NM State approved EFDA functions.
Upon successful completion of an EFDA course, you will receive an SFCC’s Dental Department Certificate of Completion with appropriate CE units. Upon satisfactory completion all 3 SFCC’s EFDA courses, a student will receive SFCC Certificate of Completion in Expanded Functions Dental Auxiliary and he/she will be invited to walk with Cap and Gown in the SFCC commencement and also will be invited to the Dental Department’s Pinning Ceremony to receive a program completion, EFDA Pin.
Employed auxiliaries will be given priority consideration. At least 2 years chair-side four-handed dentistry experience in general dentistry is required (within the past 5 years).
Students must submit following documents along with the completed and signed EFDA application:
- Proof of current status as a Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) from the DANB or appropriate NM license –OR– Proof of current status as a Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH license)- OR– a dentist license- OR– any other NM Dental Board approved dental auxiliary license
- The applicant (EXCEPT Registered Dental Hygienists) must be certified in all four expanded functions (Radiography, Fluoride, Coronal Polishing, and Sealants) as defined in Section 16.5.33 NMAC – NM Board of Dental Health Care regulation
- Proof of current CPR/BLS certification
- Proof of Hepatitis B vaccination
- Proof of TB testing
- Proof of current employment
APPLICATION SUBMISSION DEADLINE:
- For Fall: April 15 (or until the class is full for EFDA 293 course)
- For Spring & Summer: November 15 (or until the class is full- for EFDA 295 and EFDA 295L in spring)
- APPLICATION FORM
- Online Lecture: 12 students
- Weekends Lab: 6 students
- Clinics: 6 students
HOW TO REGISTER?
- If you have never been an SFCC student, then register for FREE with SFCC (Select “Course Credit” as student type.)
- Complete the attached EFDA application with SFCC student ID number and submit to the dental program director by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at 505-428-1327, attention: Aamna.
WHAT ARE TUITION RATES?
|EFDA 250||Online lecture course||2 college credit (2 credit course fee + $50 online fee)||This is a required course to be eligible to take the State approved board exam for restorative functions|
|EFDA 250L||weekend lab course, as scheduled||1 college credit (1 credit course fee + $250 Lab fee*)
*for Typodont, Cheeks and prepped teeth*
|This course will help you prepare for the State approved board exam|
|EFDA 293||Clinical course||4 college credit (4 college credit fee + $85 fee for clinical monitoring program)||This course is after passing the State approved Board exam and working toward 180 required clinical hours under the direct supervision of a dentist.|
NM Board of Dental Healthcare Approved Regional Board Exams for EFDA applicants:
After passing the EFDA lecture and Lab courses, a student will be eligible to attempt any of the following NM Dental Board approved exams. Students register directly with them and pay the required examination fees to them. These are external exams and not related to SFCC Dental Department:
- Central Regional Testing Agency (CRDTS) – Restorative Auxiliary Exam
- Western Regional Examination Board (WREB) – EFDA Restorative Examination
NM Board of Dental Healthcare Information for Apprenticeship and Full EFDA License:
After passing the NM Dental Board approved state/ regional board exam, the candidate applies for an apprenticeship license by submitting a completed application. Once the candidate receives the EFDA apprenticeship license, he/she can register for EFDA 293 course to complete 180 days of required apprenticeship.
After completing the 180 days of apprenticeship, the candidate contacts the NM Dental Board again for a full EFDA license.
The full EFDA license is good for 3 years and can be renewed triannually.
There are 36 CE Units required for each EFDA license renewal cycle. SFCC’s Dental Department offers EFDA CE courses. For details, please contact email@example.com or (505) -428-1258
Degrees or Certificates
- Infection control practices
- Lab and chairside techniques
- Legal and ethical knowledge
- Managing staff, office processes and quality assurance
- Compassion, empathy and sensitivity to cultural diversity
- Attention to detail