Released: May 14, 2021
Santa Fe Community College’s William C. Witter Fitness Education Center
will open by appointment beginning May 17, 2021
Patrons may use tennis courts, basketball courts, indoor track, cardio equipment and weight room/Resistance Training Center. There is a fee for each appointment.
Santa Fe Community College announces that starting May 17 the William C. Witter Fitness Education Center will offer limited individual appointments to the public for use of the tennis courts, basketball courts, indoor track, cardio equipment and weight room/Resistance Training Center from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to noon on Saturdays. There is a $6 fee for each 50-minute appointment. Also, a 10-visit pass will soon be available for $50. The regular and warm lap pools opened earlier this year by appointment for a $7 fee. The public can make appointments now.
The Fitness Education Center will open for 50-minute appointments on the hour, and the following areas are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Patrons may use one or more open areas during their appointment time. Pool reservations remain separate.
- Basketball courts: Half court reservations. Limit of four people. Bring your own basketball.
- Tennis courts: Limit of four people. Bring your own equipment.
- Cardio exercise equipment (treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes and stair steppers). Please wipe down after each use. Upstairs equipment is not available.
- Indoor track: You will be required to follow social distancing guidelines.
- Weight Room/Resistance Training Center: Please wipe down equipment after each use.
The SFCC Campus remains closed with some exceptions. Participants with scheduled appointments at the Fitness Education Center will be required to follow strict COVID-19 protocols. You must be 18-years-of-age or older to participate. Only participants with reservations will be allowed inside at their appointment time. No visitors or children will be permitted to enter.
“We’re happy to offer expanded access to the public. Our staff has trained to open in the safest way possible,” Fitness Education Center Director Herman Garcia said.
Those coming for scheduled appointments will see some changes at the FEC that were made as safety precautions. The cardio equipment is now spaced for social distancing in the hallways of the Fitness Education Center. The resistance training equipment in the weight room/Resistance Training Center is also appropriately spaced. There are disinfecting wipe buckets throughout the center with reminders to wipe down equipment after use. Signs throughout indicate maximum capacity.
Ute Jannsen-Kerr, Academic Director, School of Fitness Education, said, “We’re excited to welcome new patrons, as well as those who’ve visited the William C. Witter Fitness Education Center in the past. For those who would rather workout from the safety of their home, I encourage them to register for one of the many online fitness classes that SFCC is offering this summer beginning June 7.” Find a selection of fitness classes by visiting https://www.sfcc.edu/look-for-a-credit-class/.
Fast Facts on making FEC fitness appointments:
- All appointments are for 50 minutes, on the hour.
- Equipment/areas are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Patrons may use one or more open areas during their appointment time.
To make a reservation:
Step 1: Create an account at https://sfcc.timetap.com/#/
Step 2: Make your appointment (5 appts. max at any time) at that site.
Step 3: Pay for your appointment(s) on the site using PayPal. Pay $7 per lap pool or warm lap pool appointment, and $6 for all other appointments. Soon you will also be able to purchase a 10-visit, $50 pass on the site.
Step 4: Show up for your appointment – enjoy!
COVID-19 safety guidelines for SFCC Fitness Education Center:
- You always need to wear a proper face mask when on SFCC Campus (except when in the water). See face covering guidelines.
- Always maintain at least 6-feet social distancing.
- Your temperature will be taken upon entry of the Fitness Education Center, you will be asked current COVID screening questions.
- No showers and no locker rooms are available, come dressed in appropriate fitness wear.
- A limited number of restrooms will be available off the main lobby.
- Please bring your own drinking water and equipment.
- Leave promptly after your session has ended.
- Please respect the facility manager and lifeguards on duty and adhere to their guidance.
Visit the William C. Witter Fitness Education Center web page for any future updates.
For more than 35 years, Santa Fe Community College has been the gateway to success for individuals and the community by providing affordable, high quality educational programs that serve the social, cultural, technological, and economic needs of a diverse community. SFCC is a designated Best for Vets and Military Friendly school. The college serves more than 12,000 students per year in its credit, noncredit and adult programs. For further information, visit sfcc.edu or call 505-428-1000. Follow us: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn.