Released: April 25, 2019
Santa Fe Community College invites everyone to the grand reopening of the William C. Witter Fitness Education Center from 5 to 6 p.m. Thursday, May 9. The festive event will give the public an opportunity to see the many upgrades and improvements made in the interior of the center. The re-opening will highlight the beautiful, state-of-the art interior changes from Phase One following the passage of the SFCC Bond in February 2018. Members of the public who attend will be given a free one-day pass and refreshments will be served.
Interim president Cecilia Cervantes, Ph.D. said, “We’re excited to have the community come and see how gorgeous the updated fitness center is. Of all of the college’s buildings, this one gets the most use by all generations. Kids from 3-years-old to teens hone their swimming skills, students can choose from more than 80 classes and community members – particularly seniors enjoy the wide array of classes tailored to their needs. This past year, all full-time students had access to the center’s many resources through the ¡Viva! Fitness for Full-Time students’ initiative. We invite everyone to check out the new equipment in our Resistance Training Center, the comfortable and stylish new furniture and the stunning new reception and events desk – both with ADA accessible counters. Most importantly I’d love to have the community meet our talented fitness instructors to find out more about the college’s terrific fitness classes.”
The fitness center is a 124,000 square-foot facility that offers everything you need to shape up, assess your health and fitness levels or just relax. Enrollment in a fitness class offers access to all of the center during open hours.
Ute Jannsen-Kerr, the Academic Director of the School of Fitness, said, “We’ve got classes for folks of all fitness levels at a wide-range of times. People who are working a 40-hour job can still fit in classes before, after work, or on the weekend. For example, you could attend a Fitness Cycling class at either 6:30 a.m. or at 5:30 p.m. Other popular evening classes include offerings in yoga, boot-camp fitness and Zumba fitness. We welcome new students and many classes are tailored for beginners such as our gentle and beginning yoga and Pilates.”
Community members who do not wish to enroll in a class may purchase a one-month pass for $50. Passes give individuals access to open activities and gym areas as available. The public can also purchase one-day passes for $8, or a 5-visit card for $30, all at the Fitness Education Center reception desk. Unless you are enrolled in a class, all 1-day, 5-day and 30-day pass users must be 16 years of age or older. Regular hours at the center are Monday through Thursday: 6:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday: 6:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
These are highlights of the renovations made during Phase One:
• New flooring in hallways/ entrance
• New furniture for first floor including the reception desk and events desk, both with ADA accessible counter
• Fantastic graphics wall coverings that feature fitness activities
• New blinds for Pilates Room, Yoga Room and new Stretching and Functional Fitness Room (also known as the Wellness Center)
• New flooring in Resistance Training Center
• All new water fountains in FEC building with filtered water bottle filling stations
• Refinished floors in R. 1005 (Aerobics Room) and all three courts
• New pickleball court markings on east gym
• New UV sanitizing system for all three pools
• New sound systems in the aquatics area, RTC, Room 1005 Fitness Cycling Room and lower level
• New equipment for the RTC
• Indoor track sound panels
• Window tinting on RTC, Room 1005 windows
• New volleyball net and stands, tennis court screens and break-away basketball hoops (in the process of being installed)
For more information about the Fitness Center call 505-428-1615 or visit sfcc.edu.
PLEASE NOTE: This event was previously publicized for another date, but the earlier event was cancelled due to inclement weather.
For more than 35 years, Santa Fe Community College has been the gateway to success for individuals and the community by providing affordable, high quality educational programs that serve the social, cultural, technological, and economic needs of a diverse community. SFCC is a designated Best for Vets and Military Friendly school. The college serves more than 12,000 students per year in its credit, noncredit and adult programs. For further information, visit sfcc.edu or call 505-428-1000. Follow us: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn.