Released: May 18, 2022
Santa Fe Community College’s emerging writers, photographers and mixed media artists were recognized during the Katie Besser Awards celebration hosted online by the SFCC Library on May 4. The awards were named for the late Katie Besser in recognition of her love of literature and creative writing. The event celebrated students’ creative expression through writing, photography and media arts. Writers representing SFCC’s diverse community read from their winning works.
The twelfth annual winner of Santa Fe Community College Foundation’s Richard Bradford Memorial Creative Writing Scholarship was announced at the conclusion of the awards celebration. Christine Schwatken will receive the $1,000 scholarship. Named for the author of the 1968 classic Red Sky at Morning, the scholarship was initiated by author Michael McGarrity, the late arts advocate Charmay Allred and former Santa Fe city councilwoman Rebecca Wurzburger.
These are this year’s Katie Besser Student Award winners by category:
Image and text:
Winner: She by Melissa Cunningham
- Lady Of Guadalupe by Nehemiah Martinez
- Goddess by Cindy Cotner
- Beneath the Flesh by Cindy Cotner
- Watching the Void by Emmanuelle John
- New Mexico Sign by Nehemiah Martinez
Winner: Do You Know How To Fight? by Ro Calhoun
- La Sangre Llama by Marcelina Gallegos
- Adrian by Emmanuelle John
- Brave Enough by Jonah Boudreau
- The Earth Rang Twice by Marcelina Gallegos
Winner: Fruit of the Poisonous Tree by Marcelina Gallegos
- Flight of the Cabbages by Neil Norby
- Passing by Cindy Cotner
- Goodnight, Dear Friends, the Sun Will Rise by Marissa Meyers
- Mental by Elizabeth Garduno
- Aunt Bertha’s Quilt (Great-grandma) by Irene Edwards
- Red Scare by Anna Carvlin
- Forgive Me by Ro Calhoun
- Little Girl, Little Girl-After Mother Goose by Marcelina Gallegos
Winner: Awakened Intelligence: Version 2.0 by Ian Reschke
Winner: Then I Would Hear Her by Aremi Chavez
Winners: Witches by Marcelina Gallegos
- Opening It Up by Christine Schwatken
- Ticking of a Second-Hand Clock by Marissa Meyers
- A Love Letter to Oceans, Sands, and Warm Blue Eyes by Marissa Meyers
- Seraphim by Theodore Bloyd
- A Different Sky by Neil Norby
- Stuffed Animal Factory by Lucinda Slattery
The Katie Besser Awards are presented through a collaboration of SFCC’s English and Creative Writing programs, SFCC’s Media Arts department, SFCC Foundation, and with the generosity and support of our judges, Peter Taussig, SFCC Media Arts Student Intern Najmeh Mousavi, The SFCC Library, and the Santa Fe Literary Review. The Katie Besser Art & Writing Awards are directed by Emily Stern.
Note: A copy of Accolades, which includes the winning entries, is available to download here.
For more than 35 years, Santa Fe Community College has been the gateway to success for individuals and the community by providing affordable, high quality educational programs that serve the social, cultural, technological, and economic needs of a diverse community. SFCC is a designated Best for Vets and Military Friendly school. The college serves more than 12,000 students per year in its credit, noncredit and adult programs. For further information, visit sfcc.edu or call 505-428-1000. Follow us: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn.