This policy governs reimbursement for travel and other expenses incurred during the course of employment, as part of a College course or extra-curricular activity, and/or in official service to Santa Fe Community College (SFCC or College).
Scope and Applicability
This policy applies to all employees and currently enrolled students. Governing Board members see Policy 1-25, Board Travel and Compensation.
Travel on official SFCC business by its employees and students is integral to the College’s mission. Reimbursable travel costs must be the result of pre-approved travel for the benefit of and in the course of employment, as part of a College course or extra-curricular activity, and/or in official service to the College. The College shall reimburse the reasonable and allowable costs of this travel in compliance with the New Mexico Per Diem and Mileage Act, NMSA 1978 (the “Act”), and any applicable federal regulations. Where there is a variance between the Act and federal regulations, the most restrictive regulations shall apply.
- Act, ThePer Diem and Mileage Act (10-8-1 NMSA 1978 et seq.), or successor statute.
- Actual Travel ExpensesReimbursement for the actual amounts incurred by the Board Member, student or employee for lodging and meals during travel, capped at the maximum rates allowed pursuant to the Act.
- College Sponsored Event or ActivityEvent that is initiated, actively managed, planned and arranged by a member of the SFCC faculty or staff, or by members of a recognized student organization that is sponsored by the College, and is approved by an appropriate administrator. It may also be an event or activity that the College actively manages, is involved with, or oversees financially, physically, or administratively. Examples of student related activities and events that fall under this policy include, but are not limited to field trips, club sponsored trips, activities of recognized student organizations, and in situations where a student or recognized student organization officially represents SFCC at leadership academies, conferences or other programs.
- College Sponsored TravelTravel as part of a college class, travel opportunities that are offered by registered student organizations, and travel on behalf of the college or registered student organization.
- Currently enrolled studentOne who is registered for classes at SFCC, either full- or part-time.
- Field Trip or Study TravelTravel included in a course of study for students and faculty.
- Home Meansa. For per diem purposes, the area within a 35-mile radius of the place of legal residence as defined in Section 1-1-7 NMSA 1978 (1995 Repl. Pamp.);
- In-state travelTravel within the boundaries of the state of New Mexico.
- Out-of-State TravelTravel beyond the exterior boundaries of the state of New Mexico.
- Per Diem RateThe maximum reimbursement rates allowed pursuant to the Act. Per Diem rates may be paid without regard to whether expenses are actually incurred.
- Recognized student organizationOne that has been formed for educational, professional, social, recreational, or other lawful purposes, derives the majority of its membership and all of its leadership from the student body of SFCC, has been approved for recognition by the Office of Student Development and maintains a current registration.
- Travel for per diem purposesBeing on official college business or activity away from home as defined herein, and at least 35 miles from the designated post of duty of the employee or from the SFCC Campus.
The items below are based on minimum administrative requirements that must be followed in order for an employee or student to be reimbursed for travel.
- Allowable Travel Costs
The College reimburses employees for approved travel expenses in accordance with the Act and any applicable federal regulations.
- Unallowable Travel Costs
There will be no reimbursement for alcoholic beverages or personal expenditures.
All travel requests must have prior written authorization by the appropriate budget manager.
- Group Travel (field trips and study travel for academic and continuing education)
Prior to engaging in such travel, the employee leading the group travel must secure written authorization from the Dean or Director overseeing the program offering
1. Each student participant must complete an acknowledgement and waiver of liability form prior to travelling.
Statement of Accountability and Responsibility
The President, through the Vice President of Finance/Chief Financial Officer and the Finance Office, shall be responsible for enforcing finance-related policies and procedures. The Finance Office shall work with the different departments and offices to comply with this policy and to develop procedures that will enforce this policy regarding awareness, prevention, and remediation.
New Mexico Per Diem and Mileage Act (10-8-1 NMSA 1978 et seq.)
SFCC Policy 1-25 Board Travel and Compensation
SFCC Governing Board approved: 6/26/08
Revised and Governing Board approved: 2/18/16