- SFCC Employee Travel – Procedures
- SFCC Student Travel – Procedures
This policy governs reimbursement for travel and other expenses incurred during the course of employment, as part of college courses and extra-curricular activities, and/or official service to Santa Fe Community College (SFCC).
Scope and Applicability
This policy applies to all employees of the college and currently enrolled students. Governing Board members see Policy 1-25, Board Travel and Compensation.
Travel on official SFCC business by its employees and students is integral to the College’s mission. Reimbursable travel costs must be the result of pre-approved travel for the benefit of and in the course of employment, as part of college courses and extra-curricular activities, and/or official service to the college. The college shall reimburse the reasonable and allowable costs of this travel in compliance with the New Mexico Per Diem and Mileage Act, NMSA 1978 (the “Act”), and any applicable federal regulations. Where there is a variance between the Act and federal regulations, the most restrictive regulations shall apply.
- The Act means the New Mexico Per Diem and Mileage Act (10-8-1 NMSA 1978 et seq.), or successor statut
- Actual Travel Expenses means reimbursement for the actual amounts incurred for lodging and meals during travel, capped at the maximum rates allowed pursuant to the Ac
- College Sponsored event or activity is one that is initiated, actively managed, planned and arranged by a member of the SFCC faculty or staff, or by members of a recognized student organization that is sponsored by the college, and is approved by an appropriate administrator. It may also be an event or activity that the college actively manages, is involved with, or oversees financially, physically, or administratively. Examples of student related activities and events that fall under this policy include, but are not limited to field trips, club sponsored trips, activities of recognized student organizations, and in situations where a student or recognized student organization officially represents SFCC at leadership academies, conferences or other programs.
- College Sponsored travel means travel as part of a college class, travel opportunities that are offered by registered student organizations, and travel on behalf of the college or registered student organization.
- Currently enrolled student is one who is registered for classes at SFCC, either full- or part-time.
- Field Trip or Study Travel is travel included in a course of study for students and faculty.
- Home means:
- For per diem purposes, the area within a 35-mile radius of the place of legal residence as defined in Section 1-1-7 NMSA 1978 (1995 Repl. Pamp.);
- For mileage purposes, the place of legal residence as defined in Section 1-1-7 NMSA 1978 (1995 Repl. Pamp.).
- In-state travel is travel within the boundaries of the state of New Mexico
- Out-of-state travel is travel beyond the exterior boundaries of the state of New Mexico
- Per Diem Rate means the maximum reimbursement rates allowed pursuant to the Ac Per Diem rates may be paid without regard to whether expenses are actually incurred.
- Recognized student organization is one that has been formed for educational, professional, social, recreational, or other lawful purposes, derives the majority of its membership and all of its leadership from the student body of SFCC, has been approved for recognition by the Office of Student Development and maintains a current registration.
- Travel for per diem purposes, means being on official college business or activity away from home, as defined above, and at least 35 miles from the designated post of duty of the employee or from the SFCC Campus.
- The specific items outlined below are based on minimum administrative requirements that must be followed in order for an employee or student to be reimbursed for SFCC travel.
- Allowable Travel Costs
The College reimburses employees for approved travel expenses in accordance with the Act and any applicable federal regulations.
- Unallowable Travel Costs
There will be no reimbursement for alcoholic beverages or personal expenditures.
All travel requests must have prior written authorization by the appropriate budget matter.
- Group Travel (field trips and study travel for academic and continuing education)
Prior to engaging in such travel, the employee leading the group travel must secure written authorization from the Dean or Director overseeing the program offering.
1. Each student participant must complete an acknowledgement and waiver of liability form prior to travelling.
Statement of Accountability and Responsibility
The President, through the Vice President for Finance/Chief Financial Officer and the Office of Finance (OF), shall be responsible for enforcing Finance procedures and policies. OF shall work with the different departments and offices to comply with this policy and develop procedures that will enforce this policy regarding awareness, prevention, and remediation.
New Mexico Per Diem and Mileage Act (10-8-1 NMSA 1978 et seq.)
Policy 1-25 Board Travel and Compensation
MW/TR SFCC Governing Board approved: 06/26/08
Revised and SFCC Governing Board approved: 2/18/16