This policy lays out the principles of equity and diversity for the Board and College community to follow.
Scope and Applicability
This policy applies to the Board and to everyone employed by the College including administrators, faculty, staff and College community sponsored event planners.
The Board has a commitment to achieve and honor diversity on campus in all its operations. It further states its commitment to equity and providing every student with the services needed to be successful. Its commitment is to create an environment free of discrimination, harassment or retaliation for all employees and others interacting with the College community without regard to economic status, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, , sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental handicap, or disability, serious medical condition, veteran’s status or spousal affiliation as long as they have the ability to benefit from College services. Teaching and Learning, Support services and hiring practices are all hereby expected to honor and abide by this principle and include them in the policies of their own division.
1. Equity refers to providing what is needed for a person to be successful.
2. Equality refers to treating everyone the same way without regard to individual needs.
- All College units will have a policy honoring and affirming diversity in their unit policies.
- All College units will embrace and practice equity in their dealings with students.
- College curricula will be inclusive of the various cultures and populations served by SFCC that make up our community.
- Accommodation will be made for people with disabilities.
- Hiring policies and practices will clearly spell out a complaint and resolution process for dealing with discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. State of Accountability and Responsibility Board members, Foundation Board members, administrators, faculty, staff and students are responsible for ensuring the inclusivity and principles of diversity embodied in this policy.
POLICY APPROVAL: Original approval date: 2/22/07
Revised: 2/23/14 Policy approved by Board: 3/29/14
Revised and SFCC Governing Board approved: 9/16/14