This policy provides guidelines for the development of policies for governing Santa Fe Community College. The Governing Board of Santa Fe Community College has responsibility to establish direction for the management of the affairs of the College and to set standards of performance and accountability to be followed by administration, faculty, staff, and students in carrying out the functions of the College.
Scope and Applicability
This policy establishes the guidelines for development of policy by all units for approval by the Governing Board.
The Governing Board of Santa Fe Community College has responsibility to establish direction for the management of the College and set standards of performance and accountability in the areas of administration, faculty, staff and students in carrying out the functions of the College. Santa Fe Community College Board policies address mission, degree requirements, tuition, compensation, personnel, investment and budget guidelines, marketing and public relations and how the Governing Board will manage its own affairs.
A broad rule, principle, plan or course of action that the Governing Board adopts for the College through its approval process to guide the work of the College.
- Policy Overview
Provides a summary statement about the subject addressed in the policy.
- Scope and Applicability
Sets the parameters for developing Santa Fe Community College policy and identifies all who must adhere to the requirements of the policy.
- Policy Statement
Is a high-level statement that defines and summarizes the requirements of the policy.
- Policy Process
Is a section reserved for any definitions that might need to be clarified or that help set a context for the policy wording. If there are no definitions needed, the policy should leave this section blank.
- Statement of Accountability/Responsibility
Refers the officially designated administrative official of the College charged with the implementation and enforcement and electronic maintenance of the policy and its associated procedures.
Refers to the date the policy was adopted by the Governing Board and the date of any revisions.
- Official policies must be written in a consistent format and approved by the majority of the Governing Board members at a public, appropriately noticed meeting of the Board.
- Draft policies shall be presented to the Governance Council for comment before they advance to the Governing Board.
- The policies of the College must not supersede or conflict with statutes, laws or codes adopted by the State of New Mexico, with the rules and regulations of state agencies with jurisdiction over community college operations or any other applicable state or federal laws and regulations.
- The overall structure for the organizations of individual policies according to functions, subject matter or organizational responsibilities is hereby set. The structure includes a numbering scheme that permits ready cross-referencing and access of policy material according to subject matter.
- Procedures to implement the individual policies shall be established within each separate body of documentation, with proper cross-reference to the authorizing policy and a consistent numbering and indexing scheme to permit linkage of procedures to policies.
- All policies must conclude with the authority section and carry the date(s) and approval by the Governing Board.
- By approval of any policy, all previously adopted policies addressing the same issues are repealed. Any provision to or addition to a policy become a part of new approval process and will repeal any former policy.
- A corresponding procedure or implementing guidelines shall be written, reviewed or updated by the appropriate implementing body within thirty (30) days of the Governing Board’s policy approval. Procedures may be formatted in the same manner as the policy.
- Resolutions passed by the Governing Board that affect an existing policy will be reviewed by the Governance Council prior to presentation for Board Action and a revised policy will be presented for approval at the subsequent meeting of the Governing Board. Resolutions that the Governing Board generates will also be reviewed by the administration for possible, needed policy revisions and will be presented at the subsequent board meeting for approval.
Statement of Accountability and Responsibility
The President of the College shall have responsibility for assuring that college policies are maintained and implemented. The President is responsible for the day-to-day management of the College consistent with policies adopted by the Governing Board. The President may delegate this responsibility to individual Vice Presidents or other staff in accordance with their assigned organizational and functional duties and responsibilities.
Original approval date: 10/23/03
SFCC Governing Board approved: 6/27/09
Revised and SFCC Governing Board approved: 9/16/14