- Salary Deductions
Each payday, employees are provided detailed information about their pay. Employees who receive a paper check also receive a corresponding pay stub that has detailed pay and deduction information. An employee who uses direct deposit has access to pay information via the SFCC portal (currently known as Jack). Pay stubs report both current pay period and year-to-date amounts.
- FICA Tax is currently charged at 7.65% of gross and is broken down on the stub as follows:
- OASDI: Old Age & Survivors Disability Insurance at 6.2%
- Medicare: Medicare tax at 1.45%
- Educational Retirement is charged at 7.9% of gross for employees who earn up to $20,000 annually and 10.7% of gross for employees who earn more than $20,000 annually. Employees who work greater than quarter time (.25 FTE) must contribute to Educational Retirement.
- Retiree Healthcare: New Mexico Retiree Healthcare is charged at 1% of gross. Employees who contribute to Educational Retirement are required to pay Retiree Healthcare.
Some employees report time worked electronically whereas others submit a hard copy timesheet.
- Preprinted timesheets or templates are provided by the Payroll Office.
- Preprinted timesheets are due in the Payroll Office by 9 a.m. Friday prior to pay week.
- The Payroll Office sends a memo to departments concerning holidays that may result in submission of early time sheets.
- Timesheets must contain Employee name, Employee A-number, Position number, and Department. Hours should be totaled and verified before the approver signs.
- Approved paper timesheets should be hand-carried to the Payroll Office to ensure timely processing.
- An employee should not sign or submit a blank timesheet. A signed timesheet is required so the employee can verify that the hours entered are true and correct.
- The employee responsible for completing the timesheet should enter only actual hours worked on the actual day(s) worked. Extreme care should be taken to ensure this is done properly.
- If hours are being reported for a previous pay period, the hours should be reported on a separate timesheet taking care to specify the correct pay period. Only actual hours and actual days may be reported.
- Occasional part-time employees may be required to submit a time report, with dates and time worked, to their supervisor or department. Time reports are attached to the cover timesheet and submitted to Payroll only if the employee has not signed the timesheet verifying the hours.
- Corrections made to timesheets must be initialed by the authorized signer, or the changes will not be accepted.
- If an employee works on a day when the College is closed, a memo must be attached to the timesheet acknowledging that the College was closed and the employee was allowed to work and should be paid. Otherwise the hours are crossed off the timesheet and the employee will not be paid. Examples:
- Security positions are staffed 24/7/365 and some employees are allowed to work when the campus is closed.
- On occasion, we may have an off-campus work-study student who is allowed to work at an off-campus site.
Reporting Hours: Work hours should be reported in whole hours or quarter hour increments.
- Annual leave hours are indicated by an A.
Sick leave is indicated by an S.
Administrative leave is indicated by ADMIN.
- Overtime indicates hours worked over 40 in a one-week period.
- Overtime is paid at 1.5 times the regular hourly rate.
- Overtime must have prior approval of the supervisor.
- For purposes of computing overtime, paid holiday time is not considered as straight-time worked.
- If time cards or separate time reports are maintained and signed by the employee, these are attached to the timesheet in lieu of employee signature.
Electronic time sheets:
Electronic time sheets are to be completed and approved via the SFCC portal (JACK).
Hourly employees are to report hours daily for each work day of the current period, as follows:
When complete, the employee submits the timesheet for supervisor approval. The timesheet is due prior to 11:59 p.m. Sunday before pay day. The supervisor then has until 11:59 a.m. Monday to approve.
- Pay Periods
- Pay period calendars are posted on JACK and are available in the Payroll Office.
- The normal work week for is Monday through Friday. The pay period is for two weeks and ends on payday Friday.
- The work week for hourly employees begins Monday and ends Sunday. The pay period is for two weeks and ends Sunday before payday.
- Part-time/adjunct instructors are paid in equal installments during the term.
Pay is distributed to employees either by paycheck or direct deposit.
- Direct Deposit
- Employees who opt to use direct deposit must complete and sign a Direct Deposit Authorization form.
- Direct deposits are made each pay date until the option is stopped by the employee. To start, stop, or change a direct deposit the employee must complete a Direct Deposit Authorization form and submit the form to the payroll office.
- Employees who opt to receive a paper check may pick up the check in the Payroll Office on pay day.
- Employees picking up their checks are required to sign a payroll distribution sheet.
- Paychecks that are not picked up on pay day Friday will be mailed via U.S. Postal Service unless another arrangement is made
Contact: Steve Barela, Payroll Manager