This policy establishes the control, distribution and tracking requirements for all keys to all Santa Fe Community College (SFCC or College) facilities to ensure appropriate access and security.
Scope and Applicability
This policy applies to SFCC employees and others designated to have access to areas requiring a key.
The objective of this policy is to provide security for the campus community by providing for the control, use, and possession of keys to facilitate appropriate access to campus facilities. Access to facilities, buildings, College owned or operated entities shall be issued to those presenting completed and signed forms. The control and issue of facility keys shall be the responsibility of Plant Operations, Maintenance, Safety and Security (POMSS). All lost or stolen facility keys shall be reported immediately to the employee’s supervisor and to POMSS. A fee may be assessed according to established procedures.
- Keys All facility and/or building keys and access cards.
- In order to obtain a key, written approval from the appropriate supervisor is required.
- A key may not be transferred to another person. If an individual no longer requires a key, he/she shall notify his/her supervisor and return the key to POMSS.
- Any duplication or copying of any College keys, except through POMSS, is prohibited.
- The College shall reserve the right to require the return of keys at any time. When requested, keys must be returned within 24 hours.
- When an employee terminates employment, all keys issued to that employee must be returned. In the case of failure to return:
- If an employee has lost a key(s), s/he shall be required to pay the appropriate fee.
- If an employee leaves the College without returning key(s), the College shall take appropriate steps to request return of the key(s) and payment of related fee.
- Any violation of this policy shall result in appropriate disciplinary action.
Statement of Accountability and Responsibility
The President, through the Executive Director of POMSS, the offices of POMSS, the Student Affairs Officer, the Executive Director of Human Resources and the Office of Human Resources shall be responsible for enforcing this policy and establishing procedures that will enforce this policy regarding awareness, prevention, and remediation.
SFCC Governing Board approved: 6/27/02
Updated: November 2015
Revised and Governing Board approved: 5/25/16