This policy establishes the control, distribution and tracking requirements for all keys to all Santa Fe Community College (SFCC or College) facilities to ensure appropriate access and security.
Scope and Applicability
This policy applies to SFCC employees and others designated to have access to areas requiring a key.
The objective of this policy is to provide security for the campus community by providing for the control, use, and possession of keys to facilitate appropriate access to campus facilities. Access to facilities, buildings, College-owned or -operated entities shall be issued to those presenting completed and signed forms. The control and issue of facility keys shall be the responsibility of the Facilities and Operations Office. All lost or stolen facility keys shall be reported immediately to the employee’s supervisor and the Facilities and Operations Office. A fee may be assessed according to established procedures.
- Keys All facility and/or building keys and access cards.
- In order to obtain a key, written approval from the appropriate supervisor is required.
- A key may not be transferred to another person. If an individual no longer requires a key, they shall notify their supervisor and return the key to the Facilities and Operations Office.
- Any duplication or copying of any College keys, except through the Facilities and Operations Office, is prohibited.
- The College shall reserve the right to require the return of keys at any time. When requested, keys must be returned within 24 hours.
- When an employee terminates employment, all keys issued to that employee must be returned. In the case of failure to return:
- If an employee has lost a key(s), they shall be required to pay the appropriate fee.
- If an employee leaves the College without returning key(s), the College shall take appropriate steps to request return of the key(s) and payment of related fee.
- Any violation of this policy shall result in appropriate disciplinary action.
Statement of Accountability and Responsibility
The President, through the Vice President of Finance/Chief Financial Officer and the Director of Facilities, the Facilities and Operations Office, the Student Affairs Officer, the Executive Director of Human Resources and the Office of Human Resources shall be responsible shall be responsible for enforcing facilities-related policies and procedures. The Facilities and Operations Office shall work with the different departments and offices to comply with this policy and to develop procedures that will enforce this policy regarding awareness, prevention and remediation.
SFCC Governing Board approved: 6/27/02
Updated: November 2015
Revised and Governing Board approved: 5/25/16