The Branding Policy provides information and guidelines to Santa Fe Community College (SFCC or College) and other involved communities regarding the use of the name, logo and editorial style of the College.
Scope and Applicability
This policy applies to all branding by the organizational units, staff, faculty, and students of the College and use of the College brand by affiliated or external individuals or bodies.
This Branding Policy is intended to ensure the College benefits from the consistent and coherent promotion of the SFCC brand and to minimize risk from the misuse of the brand.
SFCC’s brand identity defines the institution and the4 role it plays in our community. Cohesive brand identity enhances recognition of the College and its programs, and enables College communications materials to be effective. The objective is to enhance SFCC publications with common elements that establish the publications as part of SFCC’s activities, operations and brand.
- Editorial Style The way punctuation and grammar is used in writing according to common references guides such as the Chicago Manual of Style, Associated Press Stylebook and others.
- Oversight and Management – The Marketing and Public Relations Department (MPR) is responsible for overseeing and managing the brand identity of the College.
- Guidelines – Current College brand guidelines and resources, including logo use and references for editorial style, are maintained on the SFCC internal portal/intranet.
- The official College logo shall appear in one of its approved configurations on all publications produced by or for a College organizational unit.
- The logo shall not be redrawn, re-proportioned, modified or altered in any way.
- Only approved logos obtained from the SFCC intranet or from MPR shall be used.
- Publications – All publications must be produced by MPR, use a template provided by MPR or be developed under the guidance of MPR.
- Acceptable Use, Copyright, Trademark and Intellectual Property
- Use of official SFCC publication must be consistent with the mission and goals of the College. SFCC publications represent SFCC, not individual employees or students. All users must provide materials that are consistent with federal and state law and College policies and established procedures.
- Use of copyrighted material or intellectual property without the original creator’s knowledge and permission is not allowed. Proper permissions must be obtained and cleared with MPR before using copyrighted material. Trademarks are the property of their owners and must be used by permission. It is the responsibility of the user to determine that there is a clear legal right to use the information. Failure to provide appropriate permission will result in the publication being withdrawn from the public.
- SFCC publications must follow all existing privacy policies and laws.
- Exceptions and Exemptions
- Branding that introduces a new visual identifier (such as a logo, graphic or typeface) or editorial style outside the specifications of the College brand guidelines is not allowable unless approved in accordance with this policy by MPR.
- Materials for class use such as syllabi and other handouts or electronic postings are exempted from this policy.
Statement of Accountability and Responsibility
The President, through the Executive Director of Marketing and Public Relations and MPR shall be responsible for enforcing MPR procedures and policies. MPR shall work with the different departments and offices to comply with this policy and develop procedures that will enforce this policy regarding awareness, prevention and remediation.
SFCC Governing Board approved: 8/28/18
Revised and Governing Board approved: 6/22/16