To be successful learning online, you must:
- Have good communication skills. Online learning is primarily text-based; you will be reading lectures, textbooks, articles, discussions, etc. Be prepared to do most of your learning through the written word. You will communicate with your instructor and your classmates through emails, discussion boards, and papers.
- Have good writing skills. Be prepared to write extensively. Pay attention to spelling and grammar.
- Be able to work independently. You will keep your own schedule and be responsible for making time to study the materials, work on assignments, and submit assignments on time.
- Know how to prioritize. You will need to prioritize your assignments, usually by due date. Break the assignments down into smaller tasks, then estimate the time needed to complete the assignment and set aside the time to get your work done. It helps to create a daily schedule with hours blocked for you to do your classwork.
- Ask for help when you need it. You need to be able to ask for help, whether from the instructor or your classmates.
- Have a quiet place to study. Find a place where you can concentrate without interruptions.
- Be organized. Keep your class materials organized so you can find what you need quickly and easily.
- Have a computer and know how to use it. You will need to know how to navigate within browsers like Chrome, Firefox, and Safari; how to open and close multiple tabs and/or windows; how to download files; how to upload and submit files; how to research information online, and more.
- Be willing to learn as you go. Before taking a class online if you feel unsure, reach out to students who have taken online classes or your instructors and ask for their advice.
- Practice self-care. It can be challenging to learn how to take classes online and do well. Be sure to take breaks and take time for yourself. It will help you have the energy to commit to and complete your studies.
Online Learning Contacts
Online Teaching & Learning: firstname.lastname@example.org, 505-428-1166