The New Mexico Opportunity Scholarship provides tuition and required fees assistance for eligible students who are New Mexico residents pursuing a training certificate, associate degree, and/or a bachelor’s degree at a New Mexico public college or university.
The Opportunity Scholarship will be awarded for the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters of the 2022-2023 academic year.
NOTE: New Mexico Higher Education Department (NMHED) is still working on the final regulations for the Opportunity Scholarship for the 2022-2023 academic year. Please visit https://hed.state.nm.us/financial-aid/scholarships/new-mexico-opportunity-scholarship for more information.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Be a New Mexico resident.
- Have a high school or GED diploma.
- Enroll in at least 6 credit hours if you are continuing student or 12 credit hours if recent graduate learner but not more than 18 credit hours for Fall and Spring semester.
- Maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- Encouraged, but not required, to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for scholarship eligibility.
What does it cover?
The Opportunity Scholarship can be used to cover up to 100% of tuition and required fees at any New Mexico public college or university.
How to apply:
There is no application needed for the Opportunity Scholarship. If you meet all the eligibility criteria the Financial Aid office will work with you to award the scholarship.
Duration of Scholarship:
The opportunity scholarship may continue for an eligible student for up to 90 credit hours or at the completion of an associates degree at SFCC. The scholarship may be renewed each semester based on meeting the continuing eligibility.
NOTE: The New Mexico Opportunity Scholarship is not for everyone. If you have 90 college credits hours on your transcripts, you are not eligible to receive this scholarship. If you have questions, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 505-428-1268.