What is Commencement?
Commencement is the SFCC graduation ceremony.
When is Commencement?
Rehearsal is Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 3:30 p.m. at the William C. Witter Fitness Education Center on the SFCC campus. Attendance is highly recommended but not required.
The ceremony takes place on Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 10 a.m. at the William C. Witter Fitness Education Center on the SFCC campus.
Where is Commencement?
Can I watch the ceremony from home computer or my smart phone?
Yes, an online live-stream of the ceremony will be available on YouTube.
How long does it last?
The commencement ceremony lasts about 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
How do I know if I can graduate?
Visit with an advisor, then submit your petition to graduate via MySFCC (student portal). You will find the petition on MySFCC under the Student tab then under student resources. The advisor will review it, then forward it on to the Dean for a second review, which will then be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office for approval. You will notified by email with the status of your petition to graduate which will be sent to you from the Registrar’s office.
What are the General Requirements?
- The student must maintain an overall cumulative GPA of a 2.0 or higher
- Must complete all required course work
- No course numbered below 111 is acceptable for graduation
- A grade of “C” or better is required for degree requirements
- Transfer credit may be used toward graduation requirements as recommend by the faculty with the following requirements and/or guidelines:
- Residency requirement: Transfer students must earn at least one-quarter of the total number of required credits (nine credits hours minimum) for the degree or certificate at SFCC. (This shall include a minimum of one-quarter of the core requirements)
- Technical or occupational courses accepted in transfer may, with the approval of the appropriate dean, be substituted for SFCC course requirements.
- A GPA for all courses accepted in transfer and for those used to meet graduation requirements must equal a 2.0 or higher.
- Academic honors recognition is based on undergraduate coursework completed the term before Commencement.
- Students who have completed at least 25 percent of their required course work at SFCC have passed a cumulative of 16 credits and who’s cumulative GPA falls within a certain range will graduate with honors.
- A notation to that effect will appear on the students transcript
Honors categories are as follows:
3.50 to 3.74 Honors
3.75 to 3.99 High Honors
4.0 Highest Honors
CAP & GOWN
What is required?
All ceremony participants are required to wear full academic regalia consisting of a traditional gown, mortarboard (cap) with a tassel.
How and where do I get my cap & gown?
The Registrar’s Office will send you an invitation by mail and email [to your SFCC account] inviting you to participate in the commencement ceremony. Please pay close attention to the specific dates listed on the invitation, during these dates you will need to go to the Registrar’s Office (Room 203) to confirm your attendance and verify your name, degree, major, honors and PTK status for your diploma. After the verification process you will be issued a clearance form to purchase the graduation regalia.
Where to Purchase my Cap and Gown?
You can purchase your regalia at the SFCC Bookstore for $25.00 (after picking up your clearance form from the Registrar’s Office)
What to wear under your gown?
Please wear appropriate clothing under your gown. Please exercise caution when selecting footwear – high heels are not recommended since graduates will walk around the track and down a flight of stairs.
Which side does my tassel go on?
The tassel should be on your right side as you walk into the ceremony, during the ceremony you will be told to move it to your left side.
When will I receive my diploma?
Actual diplomas will not be given out at the ceremony. All graduates will be given a diploma cover during the ceremony; which they can place their diploma in when it is ready. Diplomas will be mailed to graduates approximately 4-6 weeks after final grades have been processed by the registrar’s office. The diploma will be mailed to the address specified on the degree application, unless an address change has been requested before the end of the semester.
STUDENT ACCESSIBILITY SERVICES
I have a family member coming and is in a wheelchair. Will there be special accommodations?
Designated handicapped parking spaces are available for those with an official handicapped license plate and tag. If you have guests with disability needs, please arrive early to ensure proper parking and seating. Please contact Student Accessibility Services at 505-428-1701 for seating arrangements.
Will there be a rehearsal?
Yes! Rehearsal will be held at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, December 6th at 3:30 pm at the Santa Fe Community College William C. Witter Fitness Education Center.
Where do I park? Is there a fee?
Parking is free. Designated handicapped parking spaces are available for those with an official handicapped license plate and tag.
What else should I know?
There will be no place to leave items once the processional starts. You should make arrangements for someone to be responsible for your valuables during the ceremony.
Bring your cap, tassel, and gown to line-up. Pins used to anchor your cap will be provided.