- This event has passed.
CAMPUS CLOSED: Faculty and Staff In-service
March 16, 2018 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
View agenda for afternoon sessions: Employee Development Afternoon Sessions
As spring break nears, many of your coworkers are hard at work preparing for Professional Development Day at SFCC, taking place on Friday, March 16. As a reminder, the day is composed of a morning lockdown exercise, followed by lunch and an engaging arrangement of afternoon breakout sessions.
On March 16, the college will be closed to the public and no support services will be available — this includes food services, custodial, book store, the fitness center, among others. Kids Campus, La Familia and the Santa Fe Higher Education Center will remain open.
The session begins at 8:15 a.m. in the Campus Center with breakfast, a short introduction to the day’s events and an overview of the lockdown exercise. Employees will be expected to lock themselves in a safe space in their offices while the emergency response professionals, SFCC Safety & Security and the SFCC CERT team members secure the campus. This exercise is scheduled to take place through 11:15 a.m. and will be followed by a group review session. If we complete the lockdown earlier, an announcement will be made to return to Campus Center.
The afternoon sessions will offer a choice of topics of interest. Some sessions are limited in capacity, so it’s recommended that you arrive early so that you can sign up for the ones you prefer. Please view a schedule of the afternoon sessions ahead of time in order to plan your afternoon.
Additional Information on the Lockdown Exercise
The lockdown exercise will also involve Santa Fe County Sheriff and the Santa Fe County Fire Departments, who will simultaneously conduct rescue and response drills in the 300 West Wing. Employees in the 300s will follow the same lockdown procedures as the rest of the college.
Please note, this is a lockdown exercise. It is not an active shooter drill. These are two different exercises that require different actions. In preparation for the March 16 lockdown exercise, please prepare by carefully reading the following lockdown drill procedures:
- Proceed to an area that can be secured or locked.
- Lock all doors into the area.
- *If it is not possible to lock the doors, place furniture and equipment in front of the doors in order to barricade them.
- *If doors open out into the corridor, use whatever means possible to try to restrict entry to the room, including placing furniture and equipment in front of the door, or using a belt or other item to tie the door handle to something stable.
- Move to the point in the room that is most distant from a door entering the room from the outside or from a corridor/hallway.
- Do not huddle; spread out.
- Close blinds and drapes for concealment.
- Turn off lights.
- Put cell phones on vibrate, and silence all other devices.
- If communication is needed, use text messaging only.
- Follow all instructions from Safety & Security.
- Wait for an ALL CLEAR for drill to be completed.
*To avoid accidental personal injuries or damage to property, please follow these steps at your own discretion. Or consider using this time to discuss with your colleagues the specific steps you would take in the event of an actual emergency. The desired outcome is that you and your colleagues gain a greater awareness of proper actions to take in the event of an actual emergency.
This will be an exercise everyone is expected to take seriously, so if you have any questions or concerns please contact your supervisor; Noe Villarreal, Safety Specialist, at extension 1825; or Chris Gettler Safety & Security Manager, at extension 1136.
Cecilia Y.M. Cervantes, Ph.D.