WHAT ARE ENCORE CAREERS?
Today’s men and women do not think about retirement the way their parents and grandparents did; a well-deserved rest of a tired body for 10-15 years after an exhausting or boring job. Americans in what’s commonly referred to as the innovative Baby Boomer generation (ages 50 and older) are once again rethinking and redesigning potential futures beyond what previous generations imagined.
Most Baby Boomers expect to live healthy and productive lives well into their 60’s and 70’s and, for some, even into their 80’s and 90’s. Now, upon considering or reaching eligibility for pensions and retirement benefits, many people are seeking and starting brand new careers.
This may involve, but does not necessarily include
- Career exploration activities
- A college degree or certificate
- Transferring skills, education and experience into a new field
- Consulting or starting a small business
- Active volunteering and/or social justice advocacy
- Continuing education classes for new skills
- Finding the Work You Love: The Essential Guide to Reinventing Your Life.
- Work Matters: Blog Posts for the 50+ Community
- Work Reimagined: Uncover Your Calling (book)
NEW MEXICO DEPARTMENT OF AGING AND LONG TERM SERVICES
NEW MEXICO DEPARTMENT OF WORKFORCE SOLUTIONS
- Human Rights Bureau (Addressing age discrimination, civil rights, the Americans with Disabilities Act)
ENCORE.ORG: Second Acts for the Greater Good
- Home Page
- The Encore Careers Handbook (Book – Copies in SFCC Library and Career Services)
- Encore Fellowships
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FROM NEXT AVENUE:
- 4 Things Older Job Seekers Are Doing Wrong
- 4 Ways to Help You Make a Tough Career Decision
- 5 Reasons to Go Back to College After 50
- 6 Fatal Mistakes Job Seekers Make
- 7 Ways Older Workers Can Win at Job Interviews
- Employers Are Rethinking Older Worker Stereotypes
- It’s never Too Late to Start A New Career
- Create A Winning Midlife Resume to Get Hired
- Laid off at 60: What to Do Next
- New Interviews: Tips for video interviews, group gropes, cattle calls and Trained Bears
AGE NATION: Solutions for People Who Weren’t Born Yesterday
Age Nation, the innovative, versatile National, yet Santa Fe-based organization, is a platform for Baby Boomers, elders and older Gen-Xers and younger people who want to be prepared in our brave new world. They have a Careers and Skills Development page and more on the website. You can also go to www.AgelessLivingSeries.com for a video and overview of the authors and experts in this dynamic new national Television Series for PBS and for broadcast dates for the Series and support information on the Ageless Living Series.
AgeNation’s mission is to inspire hearts and minds and enrich the lives of people in the second half of life and younger people who are inheriting the future through best-selling books, radio, television, live and digital conferences, retreats and educational courses that help redefine what it means to live consciously and age wisely and to live the lives we were born to live and thrive.
FREE ONLINE EDUCATION
Take the world’s best courses online for free. Coursera is a social entrepreneurship company that partners with the best universities in the world to offer courses online for anyone to take. They want to empower people to improve their lives, the lives of their families and the communities they live in. To access their free options, select Explore All of Coursera and enter free courses in the search box. You will not receive university credit, a certificate or degree, nor will you be able to transfer the course into a college or university certificate or degree program. But, you will gain the knowledge.
Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) are free online courses available for anyone to enroll. MOOCs provide an affordable and flexible way to learn new skills, advance your career and deliver quality educational experiences at scale.
TED is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design. Since then its scope has become ever broader. They believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and ultimately, the world. They are building an online clearinghouse that offers free knowledge and inspiration from the world’s most inspired thinkers, and also a community of curious souls to engage with ideas and each other. View Jane Fonda’s inspiring presentation on TED about what she calls Life’s Third Act.
NEW TED TALK from Connie Schultz, who says “Don’t wait to be invited to make a difference in the world.” A Woman Over 50: A Life Unleashed
CONTACT CAREER SERVICES at firstname.lastname@example.org, 505-428-1406, Room 204-G.