This certificate provides students with the skills required to design, plan, install and troubleshoot photovoltaic solar electric energy systems. The certificate will also include a foundation in AC and DC electricity, grid tie applications, and an introduction to solar hydronic systems. Students will acquire skills needed to seek entry- and mid-level positions within the solar industry or apply solar energy skills and knowledge to the green building sector. The certificate prepares students for the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) entry level exam.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Provide leadership in creating and maintaining a safe working environment.
- Describe how solar energy systems function, including basic design and installation.
- Recognize wasteful practices and recommend sustainable alternatives.
- Measure and describe energy and its relationship to solar energy systems.
- Develop and articulate a definition of sustainability.
- Understand the principles of entrepreneurship and creating a sustainable small business.
CORE REQUIREMENTS: (28 HRS.)
ENVR 119 General Industry Health and Safety (3)
BLDG 111 Construction Safety (3)
BLDG 115 Trades Math (3)
ENVR 112 Introduction to Sustainable Energy Technologies (3)
ENVR 113 Instrumentation and Controls Lab (3)
ELEC 111 Electronic Fundamentals (4)
ELTC 227 Introduction to the National Electrical
ENEF 114 House as a System (3)
SOLR 111 Introduction to Solar Energy (1)
SOLR 121 Design and Installation of Photovoltaic Systems I (3)
SOLR 131 Design and Installation of Solar Hot Water Systems (3)
APPROVED ELECTIVES: (4 hrs. min.)
Solar Photovoltaic Focus (4 hrs.):
SOLR 221 Design and Installation of Photovoltaic Systems II (3)
SOLR 221D Solar Photovoltaic Design Lab (1)
SOLR 221I Solar Photovoltaic Installation Lab (1)
Solar Thermal Focus (4 hrs.):
SOLR 231 Advanced Solar Thermal Design (3)
SOLR 131I Solar Thermal Install Lab (1)
SOLR 231D Advanced Solar Thermal Design Lab (1)
NOTE: See First-Year Student Success Course Requirement on Page 8.
TOTAL 32 CREDITS MIN.