The certificate prepares students as entry-level law office administrative assistants, a position leading to higher-level employment including, legal secretary, or paralegal. Graduates are trained to assist in operating private law firms, courts and government agencies, corporations, and other businesses/organizations conducting law-related work. Students gain skills in preparing correspondence, utilizing legal filing systems, scheduling and coordinating depositions and meetings, and providing multifaceted office support in fast-paced legal environments. Students also gain skill in professional communication, workplace behavior, and proper office attire and grooming.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Describe the basic structure of the American legal system
- Describe the fundamentals of organizing documents and utilizing filing systems
- Compose basic correspondence to communicate effectively with attorneys, clients, witnesses, and the general public
- Demonstrate organizational skills in a legal office setting
- Describe the law office administrative assistant’s role in maintaining the legal field’s ethical and professional standards
ENGL 111 Composition and Rhetoric (3) [and]
ENGL 112 Composition and Literature (3) [or]
ENGL 119 Professional Communications (3)
LEGL 111 Introduction to American Law for Paralegals (3)
LEGL 114 Legal Secretarial Skills (3)
OFTC 111 Business Software Essentials (4)
TOTAL 16 CREDITS MIN.