This one-semester program is designed to provide students with the necessary skills for gainful employment as a phlebotomist, working under the supervision of a clinical laboratory supervisor. The phlebotomist is responsible for the proper collection, processing and testing of blood specimens and various other medical samples in accordance with OSHA safety regulations and standards. Upon successful completion of this program, the student will be eligible for application to the national licensing examination through the American Society for Clinical Pathology. Admission to this program requires an application process. For more information, contact 505-428-1763 at least one month before the beginning of fall or spring registration. Permission is required to enroll in the program. Prerequisite to the program: HLCR 113.
Prospective students who have been convicted of a felony are advised to contact the Department of Health prior to admission to determine their eligibility for certification. Fingerprinting for background checks, drug testing, and proof of recommended vaccinations are required once students are accepted into the program. All students must meet the stated requirements of each assigned clinical site to qualify for placement.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Communicate effectively and compassionately with patients.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with medical personnel.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of relevant human anatomy and physiology.
- Document patient data in accordance with national standards.
- Apply aseptic techniques as well as infection control methodology.
- Perform safe and proper preparation, collection and processing of specimens.
CORE REQUIREMENTS: (12.5 HRS.)
AHAC151 Basic Life Support for Healthcare
PHLB 113 Introduction to Phlebotomy (3)
PHLB 115L Clinical Phlebotomy I (3)
PHLB 116L Clinical Phlebotomy II (3)
PHLB 117L Special Practices in Phlebotomy (3)
NOTE: See First-Year Student Success Course Requirement on Page 8.
TOTAL 12.5 CREDITS