Certificate in Medical Assisting
This three-semester program encompasses the competencies needed by a professional medical assistant. Specific education includes performing administrative and clinical procedures in settings such as physician offices, clinics and ambulatory settings. Courses are sequenced to build skill level. Medical assisting is a growing occupation in New Mexico and the United States. This program of study is oriented to students who have an aptitude for organization and health care systems.
The goal of the program is to prepare entry-level medical assistants in the knowledge, skills and behavior learning domains essential to providing competent and caring services.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Perform major operational functions of the medical office, including basic medical bookkeeping, scheduling and other office functions.
- Communicate effectively and compassionately
with patients of varying ages, cultures and
- Communicate effectively and professionally with medical personnel.
- Accurately and safely perform laboratory testing and specimen preparation.
- Measure vital signs and prepare patients for examinations and clinical tests.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the anatomy and physiology of the human body.
- Demonstrate an understanding of various biomedical legal and ethical issues.
ENGL 111 Composition and Rhetoric (3)
ENGL 119 Professional Communication (3)
MATH 102 Basic Algebra (4)
BSAD 112 Business Math (3)
OFTC 111L Business Software Essentials (4)
NOTE: Skill Level Equivalents are prerequisites for entering the Certificate in Medical Assisting Program and must be completed before applying to the program. Other related requirements can be taken before or during the medical assistant program.
CORE REQUIREMENTS: (27.5 HRS.)
AHAC 151 Basic Life Support for Healthcare
HLCR 113 Medical Terminology (3)
HLCR 235 Pharmacology for Allied Health (2)
MAST 115 Medical Assistant Administrative
MAST 120 Medical Assistant Clinical
Procedures I (3)
MAST 125 Medical Assistant Laboratory
Procedures I (2)
MAST 210 Medical Office Insurance and Finance (3)*
MAST 220 Medical Assistant Clinical
Procedures II (3)*
MAST 225 Medical Assistant Laboratory
Procedures II (2)*
MAST 290 Medical Assistant Capstone Course (1)
MAST 298 Medical Assistant Internship (3)
PHIL 246 Biomedical Ethics (3)
RELATED REQUIREMENTS: (7 HRS.)
BIOL 136 Non-Majors Anatomy and Physiology (3)
BIOL 136L Non-Majors Anatomy and
Physiology Lab (1)
PSYC 111 Psychology I (3)
PSYC 290 Developmental Psychology (3)
*These courses have core prerequisites
NOTE: See First-Year Student Success Course Requirement on Page 8.
TOTAL 34.25 CREDITS