This certificate prepares students for a career in law as a legal secretary and leads to higher level employment, including as a paralegal or executive legal secretary. Graduates are trained to facilitate the smooth running of legal offices and legal departments within larger organizations. Upon successful completion, students have a working knowledge of the field of law practice and how to apply their skills in a law office environment. The program specifically focuses on preparing legal correspondence and drafting confidential interoffice documents, conducting basic legal research, developing case files for litigation, utilizing time management and organizational skills in a fast-paced environment, and providing overall multifaceted legal secretarial support. In addition, students gain skills in office/small group communications.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the American legal system and how legal cases are processed.
- Describe the fundamentals of running a law office and legal departments within larger organizations utilizing time management and organizational skills.
- Compose legal correspondence and confidential interoffice documents to communicate effectively with attorneys, clients, witnesses and the general public.
- Organize and prepare case files.
- Conduct basic legal research using both print and electronic resources.
- Describe the legal secretary’s role in maintaining ethical and professional standards.
CORE REQUIREMENTS: (24 HRS.)
ENGL 119 Professional Communication (3)
LEGL 111 Introduction to Law (4)
LEGL 112 Introduction to the Paralegal Profession (3)
LEGL 114 Legal Secretary Skills (3)
LEGL 121 Legal Research and Writing I (3)
OFTC 111 Business Software Essentials (4)
SPCH 225 Small Group Communication (3)
NOTE: See First-Year Student Success Course Requirement on Page 8.
TOTAL 23 CREDITS MIN.