The Santa Fe Community College’s Expanded Function Dental Auxiliary (EFDA) Certificate Program is designed to train Certified Dental Assistants (C.D.A.) and Registered Dental Hygienists in the art of Restorative Dentistry. Upon successful completion of this program, an auxiliary is eligible to sit for the state certifying examination provided by the Western Regional Dental Board (WRDB) or any other approved testing agency. The curriculum for this course has been approved by the NM Board of Dental Health care.
The EFDA Program is a rigorous and challenging course. Students are expected to attend ALL lecture, laboratory and clinical sessions. Students must be very familiar with restorative procedures, be able to use both direct vision and indirect mirror vision to complete and evaluate restorations, and will have to perfect fine motor skills to enable the accurate and safe application of dental hand-pieces and instruments.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Describe general and dental anatomy, physiology, oral pathology, and occlusion.
- Place and shape direct restorative materials in cavity preparations completed by a dentist.
- Take of impressions for permanent fixed or removable prosthesis, including single crowns or single tooth replacement prosthesis.
- Cement permanent or provisional restorations with temporary or provisional cement, provided the permanent cementation is completed and monitored by the dentist within six months.
- Place pit and fissure sealants under supervision as certification or licensure allows.
- Place temporary or sedative restorations in open carious lesions after hand excavation of gross decay and debris and into unprepared tooth fractures as a palliative measure.
- Remove residual orthodontic bracket or band cement or resin from teeth after the brackets or bands have been removed by the dentist performing the orthodontic treatment, or to prepare the tooth or teeth for re-cementation of a de-bonded bracket or band.
- Perform preliminary fitting and shaping of stainless steel crowns and re-cement temporary or permanent crowns or bridges using provisional cement under the general supervision of a dentist, under an emergency situation.
- Four-handed dentistry experience is expected.
- At least 2 years chair-side assisting experience in general dentistry is required (within the past
- Proof of current status as a Certified Dental Assistant from the DANB or State of NM license OR Proof of current status as a Registered Dental Hygienist (license) is required OR a dentist license.
- Current CPR/ BLS certification.
- Hepatitis B Vaccination or Declination.
CORE REQUIREMENTS: (7 HRS.)
EFDA 250 Restorative Functions (2)
EFDA 250L Restorative Functions Lab (1)
EFDA 293 Restorative Clinical Practicum (4)
NOTE: See First-Year Student Success Course Requirement on Page 8.
TOTAL 7.0 CREDITS MIN.