The certificate in Drawing and Painting provides a solid basic understanding of drawing and painting techniques, as well as a contextual understanding of issues of historic and contemporary importance to this discipline. Completion of this certificate enables students to continue their studio work outside of an academic setting or complete additional coursework for an undergraduate degree in fine arts.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Critically analyze and verbally assess artwork, using the terminology of visual language.
- Demonstrate an understanding of compositional dynamics within the two-dimensional format, through the competent handling of visual forces including color interaction, value and space.
- Use a variety of wet and dry drawing and painting media to translate three dimensional form and space into a two dimensional format, working from observation and/or imagination.
- Safely handle a variety of drawing media, oil and acrylic paints, and create suitable supports, grounds, and fixatives.
- Demonstrate competent handling of the human form in drawing, through the proper anatomical proportions and movement.
- Demonstrate an ability to creatively interpret the world through the disciplines of drawing and/or painting.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of how their work fits into contemporary and historic art practice.
- Demonstrate, through discussion and critique, the conceptual ability to apply issues central to painting and drawing in the analysis and evaluation of their own work and the work of fellow students.
CORE REQUIREMENTS: (18 HRS.)
ARTS 113L Two-Dimensional Design (3)
ARTS 125L Art Practices I (3)
DRPT 118L Drawing I (3)
DRPT 121L Painting I (3)
DRPT 219L Drawing II (3)
DRPT 221L Figure Drawing (3)
DRPT 225L Painting II (3)
RELATED REQUIREMENTS: (6 HRS.)
Choose two courses from the following:
AHST 201 Art History I (3) þ
AHST 202 Art History II (3) þ
AHST 204 Modern Art (3)
AHST 207 Contemporary Art (3)
APPROVED ELECTIVES: (6)
ARTS 120L Color Theory I (3)
Any approved DRPT course (3-6)
NOTE: See First-Year Student Success Course Requirement on Page 8.
TOTAL 30 CREDITS MIN.