This program transfers as the first two years of a Bachelor in Arts degree in Early Childhood Education at public four-year colleges and universities in New Mexico. The completion of this degree partially fulfills the New Mexico Public Education Department’s competencies for a Birth through Grade 3 licensure. Graduates may qualify as a teacher in an early childhood center. Students must work closely with their transfer institutions and their SFCC advisers to ensure the best transition to four-year schools.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Describe the processes of and influences on development in young children.
- Identify the adult’s role in supporting each child’s growth, development and learning.
- Create and promote supportive environments that engage parents, guardians, families and the community to meet the needs of each child.
- Select and use diverse assessment tools to monitor child development.
- Select and use diverse assessment tools to monitor the quality of early childhood programs.
CORE REQUIREMENTS: (29 HRS.)
ECED 111 Child Growth, Development and
ECED 112 Health, Safety and Nutrition (2)
ECED 113 Family and Community Collaboration (3)
ECED 114 Assessment of Children and Evaluation of
ECED 211 Introduction to Language, Literacy and Reading (3)
ECED 215 Professionalism (2)
ECED 216A Curriculum Development Through Play/Birth-Age 4 (Pre-K) (3)
ECED 216B Practicum Curriculum Development Through Play/Birth-Age 4 (Pre-K) (2)
ECED 217A Curriculum Development and Implementation Age 3-Grade 3(3)
ECED 217B Curriculum Development and Implementation
Practicum Age 3-Grade 3(2)
ECED 218 Guiding Young Children (3)
Six credit hours of the A.A. and A.S. must come from an approved list of courses that satisfy the following requirements. These are not meant to be additional hours in the degree but are, instead, existing courses that satisfy the requirement and appear anywhere in the degree.
- Cultural Perspectives (3 credit hours)
- Sustainable Living (3 credit hours)
TOTAL 65 CREDITS MIN.