NOTICE: All CLEP/DSST testing is on Fridays only with testing sessions starting at 9am and 1pm. We do not accept walk-ins at this time. To schedule your test, please click here. There is a $20 SFCC administrative fee to be paid at the cashier’s office prior to testing.
The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
SFCC is classified as a National Open CLEP center, meaning that anyone can take CLEP exams through our Testing Center, not just SFCC students. You may take any exam offered by CLEP, but each college and university has its own rules about what tests/scores are accepted for credit at that institution. (See below for SFCC’s equivalency matrix). You are responsible for knowing which test you need and which tests and scores will be accepted by your school or program. You are encouraged to review information and download the Information for Candidates bulletin on CLEP examinations at http://www.collegeboard.com/clep.
- Students interested in taking the CLEP need to go to the above website, register, choose your exam, and pay for your test. You will be issued a voucher ID and an ID number. You must bring that to the Testing Center when you test.
- Please be sure to review the description of your exam on the CLEP website to ensure you are prepared and know what to expect in relation to time limitations, exam module breakdown, and other specifics of your exam.
The cost of the CLEP examination is $89 per test, paid online by credit or debit card only to collegeboard. There is an additional, non-refundable $20 administration fee per test payable at the SFCC Cashier’s office.
On your scheduled test appointment, please bring your CLEP ticket, your Cashier’s office receipt, and one form of government-issued photo identification to the Testing Center.
- Unofficial scores are received immediately for all CLEP exams except the English Composition with Essay exam and Spanish exam with written component. Those results are mailed directly to the examinee in approximately 3 weeks. All official scores are sent directly from ETS; the Testing Center cannot issue official scores.
- In order to receive college credit for an exam you must send your official results to the SFCC Registrar’s office.
Back to Credit for Prior Learning page.
Retaking a CLEP exam – You may not repeat an exam of the same title within three months of the initial testing date. If you retake the exam within the three-month period, your administration will be considered invalid, your score will be canceled, and any test fees will be forfeited.
DSST Exams – Currently Closed
Formerly known as DANTES exams, DSST exams are available to anyone who wishes to take them. The Testing Center schedules DSST exams individually, on Fridays. Like CLEP, the acceptance of DSST tests and scores is determined by the policies of each college and university.
Before registering for a DSST exam, read through the information on this website: http://www.getcollegecredit.com/test_takers/ Click on the “Test Takers” tab and you will find information about which institutions accept DSST scores, which test subjects are available, how to obtain study guides and take a practice test. Once you have decided on a subject, please book your test appointment with the Testing Center at: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/SFCCTestingCenter1@sfccnm.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/
- The cost of the DSST examination is $100 per test, paid online by credit card at the time of online registration at the Testing Center. There is no additional administration fee at this time.
For more information, or to schedule a DSST test, please contact the Testing Center, firstname.lastname@example.org.