Certificate in Advanced Dental Assisting Skills
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate the current methods for infection control in all dental settings.
- Demonstrate the skills as an effective and efficient member of the dental health team by performing a variety of advanced dental assisting skills.
- Demonstrate the understanding of legal and ethical issues related to dentistry
Who can attend?
- Any dental assistant or other dental auxiliaries, including dental hygienists, and pre-dental students can enroll.
- Students applying to this program must be accepted into the Department of Dental Health.
- At least 1-year experience in dentistry is required for those who have onsite training and no formal college education.
- Working full time? No problem, as the lectures are online and labs are on the weekend
- Live outside Santa Fe? No problem, as the lectures are online and labs are on the weekend
- Tuition? It depends on the residential status of the applicant (https://www.sfcc.edu/tuition-and-fees/).
- By attending the WIOA orientation, the applicant may get information on free tuition option.
Any Alternative way to pay the tuition?
The federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) funds eligible, in-demand programs that are designed for adults over the age of 18. Depending on eligibility, individuals can receive tuition assistance to help pay for their education. Assistance can cover tuition fees, books, and supplies. If you would like to see if you qualify for the WIOA Tuition Assistance Program, please contact the Workforce Connection Center at;
301 W. De Vargas St
Santa Fe, NM 87501
How is this certificate different from the other dental assisting certificate?
Cert. in Dental Assisting
Cert. in Advanced Dental Assisting Skills
|39 credits certificate||10 credits certificate|
|prepare applicants as entry-level dental assistants||Provides students with advanced level training for employment in today’s dental offices. The program provides learning opportunities which introduce, develop and reinforce advanced dental assisting skills, including expanded duties of dental assistants, as required by the New Mexico Dental Board. Examples of skills/ technology: CariVu, Intraoral Camera, Lasers, Handpiece maintenance, NOMAD, 3D printing, Intraoral photography, CAD/CAM, Office Management software, other national-level DA expanded/ extended functions … and much more.|
|Cohort format||NOT in a cohort format|
|students are expected to complete in 3 semesters and in the same order as classes are scheduled||students have FLEXIBILITY of picking a schedule from courses offered throughout the year|
|Lectures are onsite/ blended/ online||Lectures are 100% online|
|Labs meet onsite during weekdays||Labs meet onsite on weekends|
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: (10 CREDITS)
EFDA 294 Dental Insurance Billing and Coding (2)
EFDA 295A Dental Radiation Health and Safety Review (1)
EFDA 295B Dental Infection Control Review (1)
EFDA 295C General Chair-side Review (1)
EFDA 296 Dental Fluorides, Polishing and Sealants Review (1)
EFDA 295L Advanced Dental Assisting Skills Lab (4)
TOTAL of 10 CREDITS MIN.
To register, please contact: Aamna.firstname.lastname@example.org or 505-428-1258