Transition from High School to SFCC


When students transfer from high school to a post-secondary school, they are not always prepared for the many changes. Students with disabilities have even more of a challenge. The rights which were in place for them in primary and secondary schools and the old system of special education assistance under IDEA discontinue after graduation.

The new system of rights and protections under Sections 504 and 508 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 differ radically from the previous system. The new system requires that the individual with a disability take charge of his/her requests for support and services.

To assist with your transition, our department has identified key features of Section 504, 508, and ADA information web sites as they relate to college enrollment, which differ from IDEA:

  • No course modifications at post-secondary level
  • No entitlement to different grading standards
  • No in-house attendant care
  • Transportation to and from college is student’s responsibility
  • Students are responsible for college tuition and fees, purchase of textbooks and payment of parking fees
  • Adjustments/Accommodations from high school may not transfer to SFCC
  • Post-secondary education is not guaranteed or a right. You must meet academic criteria for initial enrollment and continuing enrollment
  • We practice confidentiality: colleges and agencies cannot disclose student information to parents or others without the student’s permission

You should have a good understanding of the ramifications of 504/508/ADA. View the following websites for more information on 504/508/ADA. Remember, IDEA does not apply to college.

Websites for reference:


  • You must self identify (disclose your disability) if you wish to request an accommodation. We recommend that you take the opportunity to discuss your disability needs by arranging for an intake interview with one of our staff in Disability Services.
  • You need to have or know how to acquire documentation of your disability. Medical disabilities need to be verified by a physician. Learning disabilities need to be verified by current testing that documents a significant processing disorder and significant aptitude-achievement discrepancy.
  • You will have the responsibility for planning, requesting accommodations, and success in college. We, however, are here to support and assist you.
  • You need to monitor your own progress. You need to know when and how to ask for help. Your successful completion of courses will determine your continued attendance at SFCC. If you do not make progress, you will be placed on probation and may eventually be disqualified if you do not improve.
  • You need to understand what it means to be a college student, develop good study skills, and know how to plan your study time.
  • You are responsible for talking with college instructors about your learning needs although we can facilitate this communication.
  • All students, regardless of disability, need to follow SFCC’s code of conduct for behavior and maintain appropriate behavior in classes and on campus.
  • You should expect social changes in college. It can be isolating for some students since they may not have daily contact with teachers or friends. Students need to know how to access college resources and services (i.e. counseling, student organizations, college activities, etc.)