Students’ Frequently Asked Questions About Student Accessibility Services


1. What’s the best way to connect with Student Accessibility Services at SFCC for students who are graduating from high school in May and who meet eligibility requirements?

Call our Office of Student Accessibility Services at 505/428-1701(V/TTY) or 428-1455 or 428-1186 to set up an appointment to meet with one of our staff to discuss your educational needs and to begin the advisement and registration process.

2. Who is eligible for services and “reasonable accommodation”?

Students with a “documented disability” such as learning disability, physical or mobility impairment, hearing impairment, visual impairment, psychological disability or chronic health conditions may qualify for “reasonable accommodations” as well as other services.

3. How do I sign up with Student Accessibility Services?

If you have diagnostic documentation which describes and explains the extent of your disability, you can call Student Accessibility Services to arrange for a personal interview to discuss your needs and to begin the registration process. Once you are registered, we can discuss accommodations and support.

4. What types of services are offered to Student Accessibility Services Students?

Depending on the student’s disability, services include classroom and testing accommodations, use of adaptive technology, American Sign Language interpreters, note-taking, materials on alternative format, educational counseling and planning, and specialized tutoring.

5. What do I do if I need an ASL interpreter?

Call the Office of Disability Services at 505-428-1701(V/TTY) or 428-1455 or 428-1186 to set up an appointment to meet with one of our staff to discuss your request for an ASL interpreter. Your request must be made with enough lead time, 2 to 4 weeks in advance, in order to assure that an available ASL interpreter can be located.

6. What kinds of alternate media are available?

Schedule an appointment with a Student Accessibility Services staff member to discuss Alternate Media Services. A student may request alternative formats as determined by disability. These may include: copies of lecture notes done by a notetaker, books on CD, electronic text (E-text), tape recorders for taping lectures or access to our Adaptive Technology Lab.