Weather Alerts and Holiday Closures
SFCC is open
As a reminder, always use your own best judgment when deciding whether to travel in inclement weather. This page will be updated as weather conditions warrant.
As a general rule, particularly when it comes to a delayed opening, we will likely follow what the Santa Fe Public Schools announce. However, the rest of the day we will do what is appropriate for our students. Because we hold classes in the afternoons and evenings, and because classes do not meet every day, we will determine whether to cancel classes on a case-by-case basis.
Here are some safety tips:
- Wear proper footwear – boots or shoes that are well insulated, waterproof, with wide, low heels and a thick, non-slip tread on the sole. Do not wear high heels in snowy/icy weather.
- Take small steps (walk like a duck) to keep your center of balance under you.
- Walk slowly; never run on icy/wet surfaces.
- Keep both hands free for balance (as opposed to being kept in your pockets).
- Watch where you’re going.
- Test potentially slick areas by tapping your foot on them.
- Step, don’t jump, from vehicles and equipment.
- Walk in designated walkways as much as possible – taking shortcuts over snow piles and areas where snow and ice removal is not feasible can be hazardous.
- Plan ahead – give yourself sufficient time and plan your route.
- Use floor mats when entering a building – in addition to keeping floors clean, mats are also used to remove moisture from the soles of your shoes to help prevent slipping.
- Use handrails where available.
SFCC offers a number of ways to stay notified about weather delays and closures:
- Check your local news media: the Albuquerque Journal and the Santa Fe New Mexican, television stations and radio news outlets will announce and post online school delays and closures
- Check this web page: http://www.sfcc.edu/weather_alert
- Call SFCC’s Weather Watch Line: 505-428-1716.
- Subscribe to SFCC ALERT: If you have an sfcc.edu email address, you are automatically enrolled in the SFCC ALERT system to receive notifications. If you do not have an sfcc.edu email address, and you wish to receive SFCC text message and email alerts, subscribe Subscribe Now.
For more information, please contact the Weather Watch hotline, 505-428-1716, email@example.com.
Empower Students, Strengthen Community. | Empoderar a los Estudiantes, Fortalecer a la Comunidad.