Are You A Current Santa Fe Community College Student Who Is Interested In Transferring?

As a current Santa Fe Community College student who is interested in transferring, the best advice we can give is to plan ahead. Most deadlines for admissions applications are three to four months in advance of the semester you wish to attend, and for out-of-state universities the deadlines are even earlier. The procedures for transferring include the following:

  • Research the various institutions online. The resources and virtual tours are incredible and you can obtain a lot of information.

  • Apply for admission. Most applications for admission can be completed on-line, or you can download/print the application and submit it by mail.

  • Officially request all college transcripts to be forwarded to the institution you plan to attend. There is usually a $1 to $5 cost to have each official transcript sent; and by law each institution is only allowed to forward their own transcript. For instance, if you had four transcripts sent to the SFCC Records Office, our Records Office will only forward your SFCC transcript at your request.

  • Officially request your high school or GED transcript to be forwarded to the institution you plan to attend. These records are permanently kept at the State Department of Education, in the capital city of the state from which you received your GED or high school diploma. Not every institution requires this document, check their transfer admissions requirements.

  • Apply for Financial Aid. You can apply for Federal Financial Aid as early as February of each year, and institutional scholarship application deadlines are usually in March of each year. Much of this information can be obtained through each institution's web site.

If your goal is to earn your bachelor's degree, we'll help you get there. In order to receive a bachelor's degree from a New Mexico public institution of higher education, you must complete at least 35 core credits in the areas of communications, mathematics, laboratory science, social/behavioral science, and humanities/fine arts. In other words, you can complete your first year and sophomore year at SFCC and you can transfer on to a university or college.

SFCC offers many of these courses; however, planning for effective transfer with maximum efficiency is ultimately your responsibility. You are highly encouraged to consult with advisers at the institution you plan to transfer, in order to clearly determine how the courses will be applied toward graduation.

New Mexico College and University Links

The colleges and universities listed below are the transfer institutions selected most frequently by Santa Fe Community College students. Go to their web sites to find out more information:


*This list does not include every institution in New Mexico

For more information, please contact the Center for Academic Transitions, 505-428-1303,

Santa Fe Community College | 6401 Richards Ave. | Santa Fe, New Mexico 87508 | 505-428-1000
Empower Students, Strengthen Community. | Empoderar a los Estudiantes, Fortalecer a la Comunidad.