At SFCC there are three groups of professionals who regularly provide academic advising: the Welcome and Advising Center (formerly Enrollment and Student Services) advisers, counselors and faculty members. In general, individuals in any of these groups can help you but each may also provide specialized assistance.
Meet with an ESS adviser if you . . .
- are starting college for the first time
- are unsure of what degree you plan to pursue
- First time students are encouraged to meet with an adviser in teh Welcome and Advising Center. An academic adviser will help you set goals and choose the classes that are right for you.
Meet with a counselor if you. . .
- have selected your academic program but need assistance creating an educational plan, semester by semester, to achieve your goals
- have almost completed your graduation requirements
- Visit the Counseling Services web page.
Meet with a faculty member if you . . .
- want to learn about career options in his or her field
- want specific information about courses required in his or her academic area
- Find faculty in your Academic School or Department.
In addition to meeting with an adviser to plan your schedule for the coming semester, you should schedule an advising appointment to discuss:
- your progress toward your degree
- difficulties you are having with your current courses
- adding or dropping a course
- how to plan for transferring to another college or university
- what you need to do to graduate
- balancing school with the other demands on your time
For more information, please contact Academic Advising, , email@example.com.